Color Profile Changes on Wake Up from SS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sirus2400, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

So, I think the title pretty much says it all. So about 70% of the time when my computer goes to Screen Saver, when I wake it up again, the color profile changes to a bluish tint. I then go to "Displays" and before I can manually change it back, it corrects itself. Just clicking on the "Displays" icon fixes the problem, but then it comes back the next time my computer goes to the Screen Saver.

It pretty much started after a random slowdown/restart (it restarted by itself). I have run Techtools Deluxe, but it finds no errors....

Help!

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

3. gjones89 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue but mine is triggered after a restart...also at the same time this problem started, my login screen changed slighty and now I can not make any changes to the login screen setup either.

Once I click on the Display icon, the color corrects its self.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I occasionally have this issue from waking from sleep. I'm guessing you all use custom Color Profiles? The blue comes from having no profile applied. I'm also guessing it has issues applying the custom profile, so defaults to no profile. As soon as you open the Display preference pane, it 'remembers' to check, and finds it.

It's not too big a deal to me - I use option + 'brightness-keys', which automatically opens the display preferences as a shortcut to fix it.

5. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's not a big deal, just annoying :mad:

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have this problem too, on both of my laptops. Seems to be once in a blue moon (maybe 1 in 10) from waking from sleep. Not problems with the screen saver. No idea why, it just happens...

7. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

It's weird, but for me it didn't start until after an update... although I don't remember which one at this point since it has been happening for more than a month.

8. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Well, since it is not mission critical, Apple may not be aware of it. I'm going to see if I can submit a bug report, in the hope that one day it will be fixed (I guess we'll never know if it is, save for never seeing it again).

I did find this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22549

SO maybe it's an age-old issue.

9. Sirus2400 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's a bull*hit fix. If it keeps happening, just don't use a screensaver? (Thanks for the link though:D)

10. greenldr macrumors newbie

Me too, on my New "late 2008" MBP

I just started noticing this since switching from my Core Duo MBP, to the brand-new MBP, so I'm guessing it's an issue with a very recent update... This is pretty annoying, and I hope Apple fixes it soon...

11. gjones89 macrumors newbie

one of my classmates now has the same issue...I hope apple does something about this 'cause its getting to be quite annoying.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This is not a recent occurrence at all. I've been having the same problem since February when I received my now old Penryn mbp. Unibody doesn't seem to have any issues with that.

13. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I've had this same issue since I bought my MBP SR back in 07, and that was running Tiger. Clicking the display icon in settings always fixes it. I don't use a custom color profile, just the default it came with. As someone else said, it's once in a blue moon, and mine is always when waking from sleep.

To the OP: Thanks for posting this; I've tried to post about it before but I didn't exactly know how to describe it. I didn't realize it was switching profiles! :eek:

14. gjones89 macrumors newbie

Does anybody remember the last major change they did or new application they installed before this problem started?

Last few programs I installed just before it started acting up were:

Crossover Games 7.0.2
    Cod4 v1.7
    Camfrog Video Chat v 1.7

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This problem has been around since at least the early 2007 models. Nothing new, and they do this out of the box very often.

16. digiphantom macrumors regular

This happened for the first time on my Penryn MBP as well running OSX 10.5.6.

Glad it wasn't just me.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This has also happened once on my 2006 MBP with Leopard (probably 10.5.6 but maybe 10.5.5). I've subsequently reverted to Tiger and haven't seen the issue since.

18. Akzel macrumors regular

It happens to me when I try to play some games (like Command & Conquer), never when I wake up the machine (*knocks on wood*)...

19. rising j macrumors member

this happens to me when I wake up the computer...about once every ten times...

20. lalaw macrumors newbie

I just noticed this yesterday. I have a late 2008 MBP hooked up to an LED cinema display in clamshell mode.

I believe I noticed it happening when I was running a Citrix connection. It seemed to shift from color profiles and back, kind of a flicker. Is this what everyone else is experiencing? I didn't have anything to do with screen saver or sleeping, in my case.

21. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I just noticed this problem as well. I have an aluminum Macbook. I disabled the screen saver. We will see if this helps.

22. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

hmmmm this is strange, haven't experienced this before

23. rising j macrumors member

it still occurs, periodically and randomly, on my system.