color profile differences?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smartalic34, Oct 27, 2008.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

whenever I browse threads that involve screenshots, there are always a few posts that seem to have so much more vibrant color than mine.

I've tried calibrating my screen with no success...

does anyone have any idea why this occurs and how to fix it? my MBP is in my sig

I've included my dock (w/safari & terminal) and a vibrant comparison dock from another MR members(with firefox and PS), as well as a direct folder comparison

Attached Files:

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

My guess would be the white point. Have you set your profile to warm or cool white?

My Cinema Display is set to gamma 2.2 (warm white) which gives a sort of yellowish tint.

Either that, or the background colour is also affecting it.

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

keep trying and check your settings. i fooled with mine for a few days before i got it exactly how i like it.

Attached Files:

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Accurate colour is a tricky issue as it's often a mixture of both subjective preference and objective ideals.

I would recommend you Google for some good articles on colour management in particular 'monitor profiling'

In short, the Mac defaults to a Gamma setting of 1.8, however most users change this to a more common 2.2 setting, particularly when working with photos or video. Indeed Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OS version that will apparently ship with 2.2 as its default gamma setting.

No LCD panel is made the same, so you really should profile your own display using either the in built profile maker, or invest in a colorimeter and software package if you want the best results. Using someone elses profile is folly as their panel may have a chrominance or luminance shift that is not complementary to your own panel, despite having the same part number.