color profile

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kidwithdimples, Jul 12, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I have a 2GHz unibody Macbook. I don't know how to figure out my color profile but I thought this would help a bit.

[​IMG]

I compared my color to my friend's iMac and I noticed his colors were more bright and deep. Is there any way I can upload another color profile and make it look better?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hit the calibrate button on the color screen and run the advanced calibration program.

You can also download SuperCal and use that.

Either way will create a new color profile that will be better than the default wash-out garbage these MBs came with.

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Laptop screens can't really be compared to desktop screens. The iMac just has a better screen. I would recommend you pick up a screen calibrator and calibrate to get the best possible colors out of your screen. A Spyder2 can be had for cheap.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IMO, that's only partially true. Apple chose to use poor quality TN panels on these computers, as evidenced by the improved screens in the mid-08 UMB and the UMBP models. Those are also TN, but FAR better in terms of black coverage and dark color separation/reproduction. There are some pretty bad TN based desktop monitors as well. It's just that in the desktop environment, you can get a nice IPS based screen which I think the high end iMacs have.

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did the calibration myself but I find it quite difficult. The colors came out even more horrible. Everything changed to light blue color.

Isn't there any color profiles other members calibrated that I can use?

6. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Try downloading/running SuperCal.

Also, give the calibration another try. It took me a few tries to get a profile I liked, but ended up with a SuperCal built one. What screen type do you have, that'll be in field 13 of the profile you showed, something like 00009C89?

8. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a few other profiles in there but after I used SuperCal it somehow deleted all the other profiles and I was left with the "Color LCD" profile. I just don't understand when it asks me to measure my screen? It's confusing as hell.

Where is the field 13 section?

[​IMG]

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Field 13 is right there before you:

[​IMG]

Click it and see what the info pane below the fields list says. I have calibrated mine quite to my liking. I've attached the resulting profile. My screen is model 9C89, so it'll only help you if you have the same model screen.

I hope this helps you.

Attached Files:

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What program asks you to measure your screen?

In the calibrator built into OS X, it's all about just making the solid Apple blend into the striped background as best as you can.

SuperCal is then just based on setting up the colors in the boxes so they match, determining what color appears to be what on your screen.

11. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I'll give it another try with your profile.

EDIT: how do I apply your color profile? When I open it I get the window above with all the fields.
    EDIT: Never mind... found the location
    In SuperCal, it said something about measuring something. I was just confused. I'll give it another go with the built in calibrator.