Color Profiles for Samsung rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLukeJoseph, Oct 15, 2012.

1. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I have seen a few requests for this (well mainly for the LG, but I have a Samsung, can't do much about that).

Keep in mind, every display is different, there will be variance from panel to panel. In theory these variances should be small (they do not calibrate each display that leaves the factor).

There are two profiles, one sRGB, and one L* (which is what I prefer for everyday use).

Calibration done with a X-Rite i1 Display Pro and BasicColor5.

I still highly recommend getting your own i1D Pro. I mean you already spent a bunch of money on a laptop with an amazing Display, why not spend a couple extra $100 more and get it perfect?

Attached Files:

2. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Thank you very much! I'm going to try them tomorrow and then I can say to you if they are ok.

PS: I have a Samsung display too! :-D

3. iLukeJoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you try them? Just curious how they fared on your display.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

5. vladgrig macrumors newbie

i have applied it.. not bad , but one for LG I found look better for me on my Samsung rMBP. but thank u anyway :)!!!!

6. oryor macrumors newbie

Thank a lot

I tried it on, but it is yellower than before.
    It seem I have to buy my own i1D Pro.
    Could you please recommend the website that I can buy it online.
    I living in Tasmania Australia, not many stores down here.

7. VB7 macrumors newbie

VB7

Also tried it out

I've been thinking my Samsung (2nd rMBP, 1st was LG with uneven colour) was pretty yellow so was very keen to try out your profiles. Crazily, they turned out to be even more yellow! Think I'll stick to my default but thanks for sharing, it's made me feel much better! :D

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

User/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Add the profiles to that folder. Then - System Preferences > Displays > Color and select one of the two profiles.

OP, I didn't notice much of a difference at all between the stock Color LCD profile and the two from you.

9. afterafx, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

afterafx macrumors member

When I go to my Library, I am not seeing a ColorSync folder. How I get to my library is I hold Option and go to Go then Library. Maybe I'm going to the wrong folder?

Edited: Restarted and found it. Weird.

10. iLukeJoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I can see where you guys are saying "more yellow". The default profile on my rMBP was very good (a million times better than older MBP's). The profile is a ALOT warmer stock compared to my late 2011 MBP.

But the stock profile was still not warm enough (needed to be closer to 6500k). So it made it warmer.

I have been using calibrated displays (both TV, and computer) for about 10+ years, so I am very very used to it. But for one that is not, it would look strange.

Similar to the whole yellow issue when the new iPad came out.

11. snoylekim macrumors member

Agree .. the 'yellow' or 'off white' complaints occur when one is used to a display with a cooler color temp ..very common in calibrating TVs .. 'my whites look yellow' ..what's actually happening is that the original white was way too blue .. it takes some getting used to ..but if a spectrophotometer gets you to white close to 6500, that's 'standard white' .. and you will get used to it , and have a display that will show what the content intends ( or didn't intend) ..
    Would suggest folks first go through the Apple System Preference Display Calibration with Advanced Options .. this will preview what a more rigorous calibration will head toward ..
    The other benefit an individual calibration provides is adjustment of Red and Blue Gain for the display ( the retina display has ADC) to get Gray spot on .. this is a foundational requirement for getting the rest of the calibration correct ..I suspect this is what the advanced option in DP does with the sliders ..Popping a profile in without doing this , well ...

12. iLukeJoseph thread starter macrumors 6502

I am actually going to give ColorEyes a shot too.

I am really waiting for Spectracal to release "CalPC" for Mac. I have Calman (similar product from them, but for TV calibration). And it is sooooo good. I do have CalPC too, but you can't transfer profiles from a windows install. And if you try to do it in VM it doesn't come out right.

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Thanks for the guide!! :)

14. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Hey I tried you profiles on a SAMMY displays and they fit bad on my display. Still using the default profile

15. Shmanky macrumors regular

16. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Without measuring the white point of at least one of the displays, or of the camera, it's not possible to say much.

It is perfectly normal that uncalibrated displays have different white points.