Colorado or South Carolina?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac000, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Well i'm planning a move with my fiance - we are considering charleston, sc or north of denver in the Loveland area.

She will be going to the MUSC in SC or Colorado University for master's, i am finishing my degree in turfgrass management... Where would be the better place to live? We haven't visited either place nor can we afford to or have time to.

We are both young in our early 20's and need to live somewhere where we can make some money... I've read Charleston has a poor job market, but I'd really like to live near the beach and there is a lot of golf there.

Colorado isn't as hot and I heard it is very nice. There are lots of golf courses in the Westminster area south of Fort Collins.. and it appears CO is more advanced than SC and would be a better place to work..

Please advise..

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I moved from Florida to Colorado 3 years ago and I love it. It is a wonderful place to live. I live in Colorado Springs, so I can't really comment on the Ft. Collins, Westminster area too much. The altitude and dryness take a couple of months to get used to.

Good luck with your decision.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I was just in Colorado Springs today. I really like Colorado, but I've never been to SC, so it'd be unfair of me to give the nod to CO. :)

4. FlyParrotHead macrumors newbie

Charleston is very nice. I live in Charlotte, NC, and always enjoyed going down there. Lots to do, great night life, history, and Folly Beach is less then 15 minutes away where there are great beaches for surfing, fishing, etc.

5. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I live in Greenville SC, and think very highly of Charleston. the climate is much milder, and again lots to do. I highly respect MUSC as a medical school, so in education terms I can speak highly of them also. SC Has TONS of golf courses- Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are two big year round hot spots for golf. It's a great area of the country because you are obviously right on the beach, but the mountains are only a couple hours away.

6. 00Penguin macrumors member

i live in the Fort Collins area in Colorado and it is a great place to live. Plenty of outdoor activities and bike trails as far as the eye can see. Another post was right in that it takes a while to get used to how dry the air is

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Maybe I don't understand TurfGrassManagement, but Charleston is gonna have way more opportunities for growing/tending/managing heavily grassed areas. Charleston is twice the size of Loveland. Charleston is humid subtropical with significant rain year around.

While Colorado touts 300 days of sun a year, that is counting every day the sun pops out at all.

My assumption is that most people, if they heard "day of sunshine" would assume that meant it was a sunny day. The National Weather Service did establish a criterion for determining clear, cloudy and partly cloudy days based on sky cover. Any day, with an average skycover of 30% or less was considered a clear day, while if the sky cover was 80% or more, (averaged from hourly sky condition reports between sunrise and sunset), it was considered a cloudy day. Anything in between counts as "partly cloudy". Based on this definition, there are 115 clear days, 130 partly cloudy ones and 120 cloudy days, on average, each year. Over in Grand Junction the number of clear days is great (137) but the number of cloudy days is almost the same (121).

But the fact is, here in Colorado and much of the Rocky Mountain region, there are relatively few totally clear days but a whole lot of days when the sun peeks out at least a little. Therefore, we tend to brag about our sunshine -- but mislead folks along the way.
    -Colorado Climate Center.

Colorado will not have the hurricane activity, but you won't get lost in a snowstorm in Charleston. If you want the outdoor recreation and the climate diversity, it is a no-brainer for Colorado. You also are looking at a difference in elevation of close to sea level vs. 5000 feet.

Best of luck in the decision.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Both cities sound nice to live at, but i say colorado.

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

You are about to make a very important decision of your life it sounds like and you can't find the time or money? Wow.

Might I suggest you reconsider that decision. Id hate for you to end up at a place you hate.

Unless you are going to be there for only a year or so, then **** it.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Turf grass management"??

Is that a euphemizm for watching grass grow?? ;)

It appears that life-style might be the deciding factor. I've been to Charleston. I would think it would cost mucho dinero to live there.

I would opt for Colorado myself.

But any options are just subjective. What do you and your g/f want??

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

You may be on to something. Maybe turfgrassmanagement is what they do in Mendocino County. Dude should be moving to Northern California... Hey, maybe it pays the college bills.

13. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Colorado. Cuz you'll get yourself a challenge trying to manage turf grass here! :D

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

me too. lived here since 2000. am 23 now and trying to stay within this state for a career (just graduated from CSU)

i love it here but i do like the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC. used to live in Georgia for a good number of years and really like co better but that's my opinion

thing about Colorado is its nice in the summer but can get pretty cold during winter

here are 4 photos pictures of mine. two during the summer and two during the winter. you wont see snow in sc

i love Colorado especially for the snowboarding and mountain biking.

Attached Files:

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Boulder is not a cheap place to live at all if his fiance is going to CU.

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I live in Charleston and have lots of friends attending MUSC. MUSC is a great school if that is one of the points of moving. Charleston is very historic and has a pretty good college life downtown. The cost of living here is not bad. South Carolina has some of the cheapest gas prices if that matters, right around $3.83 as of today.

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Turf grass management is a euphemism for drug dealing, right?

Seriously though, those are both fairly expensive places to live and it sounds like you don't exactly have a constant income; being in school and all. Do not make life decisions based on an internet forum.

Visit the damn places :)

20. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

there is no comparison to me, hands down definitely go to colorado, where a man can walk a mile high. (which is a line from a cheesy song I had to sing in 4th grade).

The dry air was hard to get used to, I had to adjust to putting lotion on every single day or having extremely dry skin..but no mosquitos in the summer, cause its too dry!