Colored bumpers in at UTC La Jolla Apple Store CA

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by milk242, Jun 30, 2010.

1. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Letting people know. They had a lot when I picked mine up at 2:30 PST

Update on 7/6

Colored bumpers available

Orange/green/black/white

Picked up I believe the last white one, anyone in the UTC area is welcome to pick it up from me for what I paid at Apple.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

4. reebs macrumors 6502

reebs

thanks for the tip! picked one up this evening at UTC!

5. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

Picked one up at UTC tonight after getting my phone swapped out.

6. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Just picked up 2 bumpers from UTC right before closing.

Talked to an employee about swapping my phone because i have yellow spots on my screen... Of course when I tried showing him... My demo failed miserably. Must have been the way Apple Stores are lit (so bright). I also have the "left hand reception bars dance" which I can replicate at home... But inside the store I had full bars. He told me to stop reading MR... Lol.

Anyway, he said they have replacement units so just setup an appointment.

Greg... How was ur swap process?

7. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also went this afternoon for the yellow splotch issue, but they didn't want to exchange it until I gave it a couple more days. The genius was advised that the issue would go away on its own after a couple days use even after I told him I had it since launch. He schedule me another appointment for next week to see if the splotch is still there and would replace it if it is. Not bad service, just a little annoying to go back.

Anyways, the yellow splotches are really faint when the screen is ice cold. Once you hold it and play games and/or navigate (i.e heat up the screen), the splotches reappear very visibly.

8. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Thanks for the info, milk. I got mine on launch day as well. I work nearby so it isn't really a prob if they ask me to come in next week. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

9. Cmjkxa macrumors member

does fashion have anything other than black?!

10. tokiidokii macrumors regular

not trying to hijack the thread but this is in response to the yellow blotches issue. i too had them. the bottom of the screen had 4 yellow spots that went away after a day or so. however, i started to notice that the top screen also started showing 4 spots and 1 elongated yellow mark going down the middle of my screen.

so i thought it was just the residue thing and that it would go away like the bottom one. so the next day when i woke up, they were gone. however, while studying outside in the heat, i notice the marks were back and they were much darker than before. the bottom splotches are almost completely gone but the top ones remained. when the phone cools down, all the marks are gone but when the phone gets hot, either by the temp outside or from usage, the marks come back. it's like heat activated or something which is totally annoying and i'm not sure if they will ever go away.

so i planned on going back as soon as they get stock and going to try to exchange. now this is were i guess i got lucky. see when i was waiting for an iphone during launch day, some guy was walking around asking for our emails to 'reserve' a phone just in case we don't get one that day. i did get one that night but the best part was that i also received an email saying that my reserved phone came in (this was i think 4 days later).

i know they won't exchange unless a technician says that there is a problem so what you have to do is 'force' the spots to come back. so take out those hair dryers and start warming up the face of the phone and voila, the spots will be back and the 'hotter' you heat up your phone, the darker those spots become. i live pretty close to the apple store so the phone didn't have enough time to 'cool down' enough to hide the marks. plus, the day i went, it was freakin hot outside so that kept my phone warm.

anyway, i told the tech that i knew about the residue problem and i explained that i had the residue thing at the bottom but they were permanently gone after 24hrs. however the marks on the top of the screen would get darker as the day goes by under normal use and that's when i showed him my phone and the yellow parts were really apparent. after he saw it i told him that i got the email saying my 'reserved' phone came in and asked if i can just do a full exchange. he said he'll talk to a manager so he goes in the back and comes out with my 'reserved' phone (lol my name was on it) in like 1min.

so yea, my new phone does not have any of the yellow stuff. the screen is perfect! no problems with batt, etc. anyway, make sure you bring everything just in case they do let you exchange (box, cords, etc.). goodluck.

tl:dr: force spots by warming up the front screen with hair dryer, hurry to catch your apple store appointment, show tech the problem, then hopefully profit!

11. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Instead of using a hairdryer, Pandora seems to heat up my screen enough to show the yellow streak. Just play Pandora all the way to the Apple store.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

No. Just black

13. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wanted to let people know that UTC had orange, green and black bumpers. I believe I picked up the last white bumper and if anyone from macrumors that is in the area can come and pick it up from me for cost + tax

14. truciet macrumors 6502

PM'ing

Also, can anyone help me out? I would like to get a green and orange bumper shipped to me. :-(

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Hmm.. this must've gotten them in in the afternoon because I was there this morning and all they had was 1 black bumper hanging on the shelf.. lol

16. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I'd rather not deal with shipping, but hope you find someone willing

17. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I believe they were just putting them up as the cart with all bumpers were there. I also think they have a lot in the backroom as I saw friends of employees come up and ask them for a colored bumper and they would go to the back and get it for them.

18. reebs macrumors 6502

reebs

19. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got there around 1:45pm and they had I believe 10 orange, 4 greens, 5 pinks (forgot about the pink ones), 1 white (what I grabbed), and 5 black. They also had their cart out with probably about 50 black.