Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juliel83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I have a 3.5 year old 17" Imac. About a month ago a pink vertical line appeared on the screen. Today its been joined by a blue one and a yellow one. I don't have applecare and I'm out of warranty.

What is this problem? Is it fixable? Or not worth fixing, too expensive? Help? Thank you.

Julie

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Even if you bought Applecare, the warranty would have ended at the 3 year mark. The LCD likely needs to be replaced. Given the age of the machine, it would be wise to replace rather than repair.

happymac10

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Upstate New York
Apple WILL pay for repairs to older IMACs out of warranty!

One more time folks...
I just dealt with this problem and I GOT APPLE TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR!!

First, see if your imac is from the W8 factory in Shangai China. You can do this by going to Chipmunk International and entering the serial # of your imac. Apple KNOWS there is a defect in imacs from this factory...you just have to "remind" the Apple support person you speak to about this defect!! I bought my imac January 2007. I did not purchase any extended warranty. Through my own research, reading different forums, including the ones on the Apple website, I got all the proof I needed that even though my imac was way out of warranty, there were vertical lines on my screen because of a factory defect.

Call Apple support Express Lane. Arrange to have a tech support person call you if you don't want to hold on a long time. Tell the tech person to give a look at Apple support thread ID 1146388. Explain that your imac comes from W8 factory, give him or her your serial number and GET A CASE NUMBER from the tech. Then ask where your nearest Apple store or authroized Apple repair shop is. There is no Apple store within an hour's drive of my house but my tech person gave me the contact info for an authorized repair shop about an hour and fifteen minutes away. I called the shop, explained the vertical lines problem, gave them my case number. I brought my imac to them, along with printouts of posts and links regarding this issue with imacs. They called me the next day and said Apple issued a Customer Satisfaction code to repair my imac for free. I got a new display - no more vertical lines - and the repair dudes got a box of Italian bakery cannolis from me :)
My family buys Apple products because we expect superior quality and we also expect superior customer service when needed. Apple came through for moi !!

Last edited:

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you to happymac10 for the information above. This is a short addition to the info.

Be aware that there is no "official" repair or replacement program at Apple for these out of warranty computers. You will likely be told that it will cost approximately $375 to replace the LCD panel. That's the "official line" from the frontline Genius Bar employees. Unfortunately, due to their level of authority, you're unlikely to get a free or discounted repair.

Next up the authority chain will be a Genius Bar manager or supervisor. They will repeat that there is no recall or repair program, but will likely explain that there is a technical or engineering investigation notice in their database regarding the vertical lines in G5 and early Intel iMacs. They might also tell you that what's on Apple's user forum or other forums doesn't reflect Apple policy at the present.

BTW, all of what the folks at the Genius bar are saying above is absolutely 100% the truth, no distortion, no misleading statements or bad behavior.

You may feel that you are at an impass, however as mentioned above, it is also true that Apple managers have what can be best called "leeway" or "discretion" in this matter. Being calm and sincere about your position will likely help you in this "case by case" decision that they will make.

lpuma

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
June 2007 IMac vertical lines repaired by Apple Free

I had the vertical lines problem. I purchased my IMac in June 2007. Apple knows about this problem. The affected IMacs were made in the W8 Shanghi China factory. Call Apple Express 877-388-0879. Tell the tech to look at Apple support thread ID 1146388. You will be instructed how to send the tech a picture of your desktop. You will be given a case number. I took my mac to a Mac store and the LED display screen was replaced for free.

lpuma

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Thank you, HappyMac

Dear Happy Mac,
Thank you. I got my IMac LED Display fixed ($549 repair) for free thanks to you. Couldn't verify the origins of my computer at Chipmunk International so I just skipped that part and called APPLE EXPRESS. Followed your instructions exactly, and now my computer is fixed.

MarcVP

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
I just called Apple. The rep. said she couldn't do anything and was quick to push aside any idea of having the issue resolved because it's a defect. What should I do :confused:

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I just called Apple. The rep. said she couldn't do anything and was quick to push aside any idea of having the issue resolved because it's a defect. What should I do :confused:

Call again and speak to someone else. They may give you a different answer.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Speaking on the phone isn't as effective as actually standing at your appointed date at the "Genius Bar" and face to face with a manager. It may be especially effective if it's a crowded Saturday, where you're surrounded by other customer contemplating an expensive computer purchase who might be shocked that Apple products can fail. ;)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I have a 3.5 year old 17" Imac. About a month ago a pink vertical line appeared on the screen. Today its been joined by a blue one and a yellow one. I don't have applecare and I'm out of warranty.

What is this problem? Is it fixable? Or not worth fixing, too expensive? Help? Thank you.

Julie

its a normal problem and you need a new display , they all get it sooner or later and if you wait you will see even more lines turning up, ...expensive.... depends how good your verbal skills are at the genius bar

ednevell

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Ahhhhh

Ok so I try to call apple express and it sends me to an operator and she connects me to apple care and then they want $49.99 for a single issue support.

I started with one line last wednesday and now have four.

Any help would be awesome.

ed

abby29

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
what to do

I also called apple care express and then they want $49.99 for a single time support.
My IMAC was bought in November 06. Monitor is filled with vertical lines.
The local store where I bought tells me they will not repair it.

Am I totally stuck? Any thoughts welcome.

tech0925

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Hello Happy Mac,

I just come across your post and I am having screen issues also. I am interested in looking to see if mine was built by them. Are you referring to this website? http://www.chipmunk.nl/ If so, where do I put in the serial?

judobrett

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
i am having my 17" 2006 screen replaced this week on this program.

if you push, you can get it done.

too bad this isnt going to help my failing gpu like 3000 other 2006 imac users:mad:

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
Mine has the same issue and is from the same era, I'm glad this still works I should try to get mine fixed although its only a backup computer.

sherrihepler

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Stripes in imac screen

Mac will no longer fix the issue. I just talked with a Senior Advisor there and he says the repairs are no longer being covered by apple and need to be out of pocket. $700 for a mac less than 5 years old. In addition, I want to get a laptop soon, but am not happy with mac at the moment, due to this issue. What else can I get!? How do I have them replace this faulty part?

----------

i am having my 17" 2006 screen replaced this week on this program.

if you push, you can get it done.

too bad this isnt going to help my failing gpu like 3000 other 2006 imac users:mad:

Who can I talk to? Name and number, PLEASE!

MACDADDY40

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Oh no!

Mac will no longer fix the issue. I just talked with a Senior Advisor there and he says the repairs are no longer being covered by apple and need to be out of pocket. $700 for a mac less than 5 years old. In addition, I want to get a laptop soon, but am not happy with mac at the moment, due to this issue. What else can I get!? How do I have them replace this faulty part?

----------

Today I just discovered the awful vertical blue line on my screen. After reading posts from way too many people with the same problem, I was prepared to contact Apple and hopefully get my screen replaced "free of charge." But this news that Apple no longer repairs this issue is terrible! I will give it a shot, but I admit that my diplomatic skills are lacking when it comes to tech support agents. Thanks for all the helpful threads and wish me luck! I will definitley repost with my findings - good or bad.

tech0925

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
I also got very poor support from Apple. I ended up having to sell my iMac since I am a web designer and this was driving me crazy! I ended up building a custom PC for now.

Is anyone having this issue on the new iMac's? I need to get another but I don't want the same problem for sure!

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
A vertical cyan line showed up today (it's red on a dark background).

I'm Factory W8. I've had this since Aug 2010.

This should not be happening to a MBP just a little over two years old.

smscarbr

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
Issue solved just this week

My MBP was just a little over 2 years when I saw the dreaded line last week. This being my first MAC (and one I spent 2k on), I was crushed. I googled, found this forum, and immediately made an apt at a Genius bar. Less than a week later, I have a new screen monitor! I will consider myself lucky. For me it was painless and an easy fix!

DJTEMPO7

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

Has anyone been able to fix the "vertical lines" issue or replace the monitor on their own? Parts appear to be "affordable" on eBay. Just wondering what the process involves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.