Colored spinning pinwheel

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dawgfan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Death, right? Nothing's working now, but seemed to be fine this AM. Ughhh.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, that's just the equivalent of the hour glass in Windows.
    Try a Force-Quit (Option-Command-esc). Force quit any apps that have stopped responding, or simply force quit all items in that force-quit window.
    Restart to safe-boot mode (hold the shift key down during boot, until you see the rotating gear. Log in. If your system completes a log in, and you get to the desktop, Restart your Mac, so it boots back up in normal mode.

3. dawgfan, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Did a safe boot. Most of desktop is there, but top toolbar with apple logo and time/date, etc does not always appear. Reset multiple times...

None of the apps will run. Finder does not run.

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

You've given us ***** all information to work with.

When did it first occur? What program were you running. Was it from sleep or from cold boot? Did you make any significant changes via hardware or software before it happened? Most importantly, what OS are you running?

My first suggestion would be to hold alt on startup and boot into the recovery partition if you can (if not boot from an install DVD).

Use it to access disk utility and check permissions and the drive health.

If both are ok then launch Apple Hardware test from the DVD and see if that comes up with anything.

I'm betting it's likely your hard drive that is failing though.

5. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

You've given us ***** all information to work with. What does the ***** stand for? Don't understand your statement.
    When did it first occur? Moments before I posted.
    What program were you running. Only Safari was open.
    Was it from sleep or from cold boot? Sleep.
    Did you make any significant changes via hardware or software before it happened? New battery about 2 weeks ago. New HD a few months ago.
    Most importantly, what OS are you running? OS X Lion. I believe. Running disk utilities right now. Verify disk said HD was OK. Verifying permissions completed. Repair permissions currently running, est about 18 minutes.

6. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Permissions repair complete. Now what should I try?

7. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

8. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Finally got Onyx to run. Will see if it helps.

9. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Hmm, backup and re-install seems like the logical option. I'd use time machine to an external drive and then wipe the disk via recovery and do a fresh install.

If the machine seems to work ok then transfer your data over using migration assistant. It is possible at that point that it may re-occur which means that something you're running is causing it.

If a restore doesn't work then something more sinister is occurring.

How much ram are you using and in what configuration i.e. is it 2 sticks of 1GB or 1 stick of 2GB etc? If it's more than one stick, try running with just one and switch...could be faulty ram stick.

10. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Onyx fowled it up. After running the complete automation, it was supposed to restart. When the apple logo only lasted a little while, then turned to a circle with a line through it, I knew I was screwed.

Started in safe mode, and will now attempt to run disc utilities again.

11. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Acting like bad RAM this morning. Decided to try to test. Trying to hold D key to get to Apple Hw Test or Option + D keys. Will not boot.

12. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I think you need to really consider a clean install. Definitely sounds like a failed hard drive to me.

I'd get a new one to use and quit messing about with the existing one for fear of losing any more data which you will probably be able to salvage.

13. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Trying the Control + R during startup to get to the screen with choices for recovery or reinstall. Let it run all last night and never did the reinstall. Just kicked it off a minute ago and fingers crossed again.

Took it by a shop last night and they ran diagnostics that indicated both HD and memory were OK.

Since it has not worked yet, can anyone tell me exactly what to expect after the "Downloading additional components. your computer will restart automatically." completes. I was asleep by the time it would've run last night, so never saw if it actually restarted. When I awoke it this morning it was back at the screen with the choices for recovery or reinstall.

14. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

OK, it got down to less than 20 minutes remaining, then jumped to over 5 hours, then jumped to the Mac OS Utilities menu with choices to Restore, Reinstall, Get help or Disk utility.

Why is it not reinstalling Mac OS X?

Any help?

15. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Can you get it into safe mode in a usable state?

If not it might pay to see if you can get access to another Mac, download Mavericks from the MAS and create a bootable USB.

16. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

I'll cancel the current attempt and report back.

17. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

There's a OS X Install ESD file on my desktop, which contains "Install Mac OS X Lion.app". Since it's been a few years since I got Lion, I don't recall if that file was meant for USB or executable from desktop. I clicked on it, but nothing is happening yet.

18. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

If you download http://liondiskmaker.com

It'll use that file to create a bootable USB for you. This means you can attempt an install without going through the world of pain that is an internet install (causes issues for me and my machine works.)

19. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Awesome, thank you!