Colorimeter - Does Age Matter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SubaruNation555, Nov 11, 2010.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to calibrate my 23" Cinema Display and am having trouble getting the proper results.

I am using a Pantone Spyder from roughly 2002 and have the latest version of the PhotoCal software (which is no longer supported for Macintosh.)

So has hardware/software for colorimeters advanced significantly in the last 8 or 9 years? Is it worth investing in a newer colorimeter for more accurate results?

2. joudbren macrumors regular

They have definitely advanced. The older colorimeters do not work properly on either wide gamut or LED backlit monitors and typically just were not designed for LCD in general back in the day. I had a Spyder2 that was only a couple of years old and had to be replaced with a Spyder3 when I got my new 27" iMac so that tells you how much it's changed just recently. My Spyder2 couldn't handle the LED backlighting or the wide gamut.

You should seriously check out Coloreyes from Integrated Color. They have excellent software and also sell a bundle with their software and the Spyder3. If you really want to do this right you won't go far wrong with these guys. They also have user forums on their site if you want to check it out. Cheers!

http://www.integrated-color.com/

James

3. toxic macrumors 68000

the 23" Cinema is neither wide-gamut nor LED, so I don't think that's an issue. either the colorimeter is faulty or the software just isn't up to it.

are you calibrating to native white point and 2.2 gamma?

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I think if your Pantone Spyder is it working order it should be fine, Try dispcalGUI http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/. It's free and very good.
    BTW as far as I know the Apple LED monitors are not wide gamut. All wide gamut displays use CCF backlites. Also most wide gamut displays ship with colorimeters match to the displays.

5. joudbren, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

joudbren macrumors regular

I understand that and you're right, I probably should have clarified it a little better. I also mentioned that they "typically just were not designed for LCD in general back in the day". (2002)

I still stand by my original synopsis. Newer colorimeters are worlds apart from older versions and all else being equal will give you a better calibration with the appropriate software... every time. If colour accuracy really matters, time to buy a new one. Cheers!

James

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Interesting timing on this - my 27" iMac arrives tomorrow and had thought about using my 6 year old Spyder to calibrate it.