Coloring MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scissorband, Jan 17, 2010.

1. scissorband macrumors member

Has anyone ever done this before or is it a bad idea? I don't like the metallic silver/aluminum color and would like to color it a glossy black color instead. Would that mean I have to just buy a new custom casing if the material has to be plastic in order to be glossy (like you can see your reflection on the case)? Or is there some sort of special spray paint that can do the job?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Spray paint?
    You buy a MBP and you want to spay paint it?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Wow, that is kinda cool. But, no way I'd send my computer to anyone. And no way I'd paint it myself either. To each his own. Just don't bitch to us if you screw it up. :)

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

But that'd be like spilling water and voiding your Apple Warrenty. At least, colorware will cover the job for a year.

But my opinion is that you should just try to forget coloring it. Its just not worth it.

6. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I think I'm just gonna wuss out here and save money for a new notebook since color is the only reason I don't like the MBP

7. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I really just don't get it, people colouring in, etching, and putting stickers on their badboys. Are they like 12 or something? I mean seriously folks. :confused:

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I really don't get people naming their MacBook Pros are they like 11 or something?

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Have you considereed a hard case, such as the ones made by Speck or Incase? Incase makes a black one, but the finish is matte.
    http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl57186

Speck makes glossy and matte ones, but only not in black
    http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/macbook-pro-15-aluminum-black-keys/160

You could try to get a clear Speck case and color the inside black with vinyl dye. That will preserve the glossy finish on the outside, and vinyl dye won't flake off plastic like spraypaint will. I've never tried vinyl dye, and I don't know if it would work on the kind of plastic used for MBP cases. You could try it and worst-case you are out $50 plus the cost of dye.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/modding/46

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I don't get it either. Now, I like spray painting t-shirts with apples and putting apple stickers on other things. But, my computer already has an apple on it, and that makes me happy.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fan girl :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Why? Most people name their hardware something. Why else would Apple allow it if not to distinguish between computers?

Attached Files:

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Coloring also would distinguish. Why would Apple offer (at various points): the iPod, iPhone and MacBook in various colors.

Also, if that answer doesn't satisfy it. Please accept my revision:
    I really don't get people trademarking the name of their MacBook Pros are they like 11 or something?

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Never been called that before. Guess there's a first time for everything. I won't comment further. ;)

Edit: And I understand buying a product in a color that is offered, but I don't understand pulling the thing apart yourself and voiding the warranty just to make it a color. Don't you buy it for what you can do with it? I guess maybe it's a status thing too though.

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

As you well know colouring doesn't distinguish a machine on a network especially not a wireless one throughout a home where hardware can be scattered. So tell us all, is it my right to name my machine that you object to, or my right to choosing a name?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha awesome

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think they're merely poking fun at the irony of you on one hand mocking someone for wanting to customize the appearance of their machine while on the other you give your own a name that suggests self-absorption and a comical sense of machismo.

18. brendu macrumors 68020

my goodboy pro is better than your badboy pro :D

19. All Taken macrumors 6502a

+1

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just as you should be free to name your computer. The OP should be free to color it, put stickers on it, put a case on it, etc. Just as you call the OP's desires 12 year-oldish; I'm going to call your naming 11 year-oldish.

Do you see where I am going?. miles01110 seems to have understood my point. If you ask me which is more childish, I think it's your particular name, even if we are comparing it to a puke green MacBook Pro.

Also, when the OP (or anyone else) starts running around the forums saying that the "future-proofed the investment" I might comment more on the illogicalness of the entire process - but that's another debate that we have already had.

21. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to make it any thicker anyway so I'll just leave it as is. It's not really a big deal I guess but just a personal preference. When I purchased it they didn't offer any other color besides this one but I wish they did since black is a very popular color amongst products like these that people buy. Also I'm sorry if I said something I wasn't supposed to. Didn't mean to start any arguments

I bought one because I wanted to know what the hardware setup was like. After I play with it for a while I'm going to take it apart anyway.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nah, you didn't say anything wrong at all
    Besides, people around here argue about everything anyway
    They don't need a reason

I would probably buy a black one if they offered it too
    But I sure wouldn't buy a can of spray paint to change mine ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. coast1ja macrumors 6502

24. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Thats awesome, and I cannot imagine attempting this myself. Let a professional handle this, and you will get professional results.