Colors display totally differently on my iMac and my MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krissserz, Mar 31, 2011.

1. krissserz macrumors newbie

Hi!

I don't know where to post this, so I'm doing it here. If it's not the right place, please tell me where to post it.

My problem is that colors really don't display the same on my Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (OS 10.5.8) and on my iMac10,1 Intel Core 2 Duo.

I put them both on the sRGB IEC 61966-2-1 color profile.

MacBook: [​IMG]

iMac: [​IMG]

It may look like one is only darker than the other from those screenshots, but in fact, the difference is insanely exaggerated: [​IMG]

My MacBook Pro is obviously the one on the lower left.

What do you think the problem is? (By the way, the F5 and the F6 keys on my MacBook Pro don't work.)

Thanks!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

This is what happens when you don't use color calibration hardware and you use various generations of consumer LCD display technology. You can trying fixing it by manually calibrating but this can hard to make both monitors the same.

My advice if this is important to you get a hardware color calibrator or buy a professional monitor like a Lacie Electron Blue or something like that.

Cheers

3. krissserz, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

krissserz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

It is in fact important : I am a graphic designer, and I have to work more and more with my laptop.

Manually calibrating my MacBook Pro doesn't AT ALL bring my display looking like my iMac's (or like any other laptop I've seen so far).

I can't use another monitor because I have to work with my laptop in other places sometimes.

By the way, the F5 and the F6 keys on my MacBook Pro don't work. Maybe that's the root of the problem?

4. krissserz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. c7aea macrumors regular

I just ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00372561Q I dont have it yet to try, but I am hoping it will help.
    The Screen in the imac is an IPS which are much better at producing colors then a MBP screen.
    The f5 f6 are for the keyboard back light. Maybe the back light on your screen isnt working either?

6. krissserz thread starter macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro's F5 and F6 keys don’t work to adjust the backlighting on my keyboard, instead I see a circle with a line through it...

I tried to put my hand over the ambient light sensor, but it doesn't work.

Thanks!

7. c7aea macrumors regular

Oh, that must be because the light in the room is bright enough so the MBP doesnt think you need keyboard light. Try to cover the light sensor and use the manual control buttons. If you want control all of the time you can get a program like Lab Tick
    and there is an option to automatically adjust for low light that might not be selected