Colors dull on air vs 13 pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 25, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13 pro and an air side by side and my own website sunshineautomall.com looks like the red is so dull looks more burgundy where as on the 13 pro looks very bright red, is there a reason? is there a fix? which is true correct color?

2. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

color gamut on the pros is better than the airs. this is a well established fact. look up the Anandtech review if you want to see it in numbers.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just gotta get use to it not a huge deal this thing is beautiful n fast perfect in every way

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I looked long and hard at both the MBA and 13" MBP and was originally going to get the MBP - until I saw the screen. Yes, the color looked slightly better to me, but the resolution was too low on the MBP and perfect on the MBA, so that is what I went with. But I don't do any serious photo work on it, so the resolution was more important than the color.

5. cg0def macrumors regular

try calibrating them

First thing you do is make sure that both monitors are calibrated. If they are and you still think that there is a huge difference then that would be due to one being anti reflective screen and the other not. The glass covered ones always seem to give richer colors but then you have to deal with glare. But in general MBAs do not use the same screens as MBPs and they tend to be a bit worst because of the size compromise (as stated in previous posts).

6. LRJordan macrumors member

7. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

can someone post a proper way to calibrate the screen? When I did it through sys pref it basically went over the basics and wanted me to save a profile name? so I never finished it

8. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Glass screen covers or screen protectors don't increase the colour saturation of the screen itself. They only alter the perception of the user a bit, they don't increase the amount of colours it can display.

It's just a bad screen in the MBA in terms of colour gamut, and a better panel is used in the 13" pro. The viewing angles are also worse. Apple probably did this because there's less thickness to work with in the MBA (and they made up for the worse screen by increasing the resolution compared to the pro).

9. OSMac, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

The screen on the Air is average at best, it just looks washed out,
    and lacks range of color using color corrected apps.

With IPS screens in $399 tablets why not a IPS option on the Air?

Even if it was not as thin...

10. scarred macrumors 6502a

Definitely want to calibrate your screen. The process is really tough, and I failed. Thankfully there are a couple threads here with people posting their profiles. Search for 'calibrate' and you should find a few. One of them warmed up the colours for me, and I love it.

The issue I had with calibration is that it takes a few hours for you to sort of adapt. And I was never that patient. For example, now that I've been using this warmed up profile for so long, the default looks very very blue. Except, I know it isn't, as I was actually quite happy with the default for the first couple weeks. Be patient with it.

11. Kafka macrumors 6502

Try this?
    http://db.tt/ejavSyX
    Should look very nice if your screen is LG.

But yes, the MBP screen is much better no matter what you do.