Colors!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KohPhiPhi, Apr 5, 2012.

1. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was telling my girlfriend that I will buy the upcoming 2012 13-incher as soon as it's out, and that I'd happily pass my current MBA down to her (she has a 13" Macbook White).

She said "thanks, but no thanks. I much prefer the cool white color than the boring aluminum". Oh well, girls are like that I guess... :p

That got me thinking:

Marketing, design and user-experience have always been one of Apple's main pillars. Why don't they allow color customization on their laptop cases anymore? You know: white, black, mercury grey, champagne, etc. They could even charge an extra $X for coloring the case.

For example, Sony Vaio Z series does an excellent job in this regard (I love their dark grey carbon fiber case. It looks ultra high-tech!).

I know many people would prefer the old white or even the more subtle black to the current aluminum (my girlfriend, for example). Heck, you can even get your iPhone and Ipad in either black or white!

They used to offer different color ranges in their laptops a few years back... Any specific reason as of why they stopped doing it? I'm sure color-customization would also increase sales, specially among first time Mac users.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably to reduce manufacturing costs.

3. KohPhiPhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

They can charge an extra $50 for color customization... presto!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, they "can" but they chose not to. They could also bundle the Macbook with unicorns for an extra $50.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

6. KohPhiPhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man... I understand they chose not to... :rolleyes:

The question is *WHY*, considering how important design and user-experience it is for Apple, and considering they've done it in the past with their laptops, and they still do with their iPhones and iPads...

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ask Tim Cook or Jonathan Ive. Nobody here is going to be able to answer your question definitively, which should have been obvious in the first place.

Also your supporting examples aren't very good. Apple hasn't offered Macs in colors besides black or white on their Macs in years. The iPhone and iPad are only offered in black or white.

8. simsaladimbamba

Since the coloured parts of iPods and iPhones and iPads is plastic, and Macs are almost entirely aluminium, except the bezels around the displays though, they don't offer that anymore. When Apple had the iBook and iMac using plastic shells, it was much easier to colour them.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not true. The iPod Nanos and Shuffles aren't plastic.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

with business it all comes down to value vs cost, sure having every option under the sun is great for the buy but for the seller if it starts to not make sense they stop doing it, just beacuse the buyer would pay extra thats not always the simple answer to store all the extra parts

11. KohPhiPhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

You do realize this is a discussion board, right? the point of it is to throw ideas and discuss them... bleh never mind... I guess I will simply ask Tim Cook or Jonathan Ive as per your suggestion... :rolleyes:

12. simsaladimbamba

Ah, forgot those little ****ers. But I guess, it is cheaper to colour those small buggers than to colour an entire notebook.

Anyway, I am fine with the colourlessness on my Macs, as they have a job to do and not look like rose water sprinkled on a pig eating a cat farting spinach.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

14. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy