Colorware coating as a "fix" for the cracking on 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthonymoody, Aug 5, 2008.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Let me start by saying that I have no affiliation or relationship with Colorware.

I have a 2.5G iPhone that I long toyed with the idea of sending to Colorware for some customization. I'm a customizer, what can I tell you?

Anyway, I'm thinking hard about getting a 3G but the cracks issue really scares me.

Colorware touts their finishing process as providing all sorts of added protection. What do you guys think? Leaving aside for the moment (PLEASE!) the questions of whether the cost ($150 and up) to customize it via Colorware is worth it, or whether it should be necessary (i.e. we shouldn't have to pay extra to prevent the thing from cracking - I get it) - would the Colorware process "fix" the issue?

Any Colorware customers out there who can speak to the resilience of the finish? Not just on iPhones but any product...

TIA
    TM

2. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

My concern would be that some people with cracking have seen it progress to actual flaking off. What if the ColorWare finish starts flaking off because the underlying plastic is flaking?

FTR, I've considered getting mine CWed as well, but I hate that I'd be without my phone for so long.

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No way. The Colorware process voids the warranty. So if the cracking gets bad despite the Colorware "protection" and you try to take it to Apple they won't do anything. If you get a phone and it starts cracking you should get it replaced.

I understand your reasoning, however I wouldn't entertain it as a "fix" until my phone was out of warranty.

On a side note, I wanted to get my first phone painted, but my fiance talked me out of it. Darn him... :D

4. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, Colorware voids the Apple warranty, yes. But they replace it with their own. They've been around a while and I haven't found any real complaints about them not living up to that.

I think the underlying cracking/flaking would have to get pretty bad for the Colorware coating to lose its integrity, no?

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know how tough the actual coating is, but honestly, here's my take on it.

If I am going to pay for this thing to get painted pretty colors (which I have now wasted 30 minutes playing with the Colorware website, thanks...) then I would be more worried about the cracking hurting the paint job than anything else. I guess I am looking at it backwards from you. I wouldn't want the cracking issue to hurt the paint job, not I would want to paint job to cover up the cracking. If that makes any sense... :D

6. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

I get you :D The site is fun, no? I'm leaning toward a Candy Apple Red back, and a Black frame. I know the product (Red) version is rumored, but I may not be able to wait!

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Just throwing it out there...

I'm pretty sure that Colorware doesn't void the warranty because it's something being placed on the outside, similar to how laser etching doesn't void the warranty. Of course, if you got a replacement it wouldn't be all ColorWare'd, which I think is what Colorware's own warranty is for.

8. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Uh, did you read the colorware site at all??

Quote: "Your product is sent to the disassembly department, where the external case is removed from the product and prepared for the coloring process. Only the external case of your product continues through the coloring process. Internal components are stored in a static guarded storage area while the case is colored."

You find me a warranty that covers you taking something apart yourself to fix it and I'll show you a stupid company.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

im pretty sure apple will replace your iphone if it has cracks, dont worrk.
    i broke my home button (fell on iphone playing volleyball and jammed it)
    and they gave me a new one no questions asked
    plus cracking is a known issue, kinda like dead strips

10. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona - just to be clear - was the phone they replaced painted by colorware?