Colorware Custom

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cnasty, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Cnasty, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I subscribe to MKBHD as I think he is the best tech/phone reviewer type fella out there on YouTube and I saw this one he did recently.

We have had a lot of threads about protection and skins and such so thought I would post this option for anyone interested.

I am a little torn on it. I like the original MBA look but picking a matte black with accent colors or any other color your interested in is amazing!!

http://youtu.be/W8BfirN9z94

And I just realized. It is $599 to do it on an 11inch!!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's been a few threads about colorware mostly in the MBP forum. I like some of what they do, but I don't want to spend the money, I'm worried about them taking my rMBP apart and breaking it, and finally I'm unsure of the wear and tear.

To summarize, on paper it looks nice, but in practice its not viable (for me)

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

As cool as this is (and I think it's very cool), I would imagine this would void the warrantee and any AppleCare extended warrantee. That would suck for me. I suppose most people who use ColorWare use it after the warrantee runs out.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Big question for me would be what happens if/when you need a warranty repair from Apple?

Would you get some song-and-dance since clearly the computer's been gutted/reassembled? Might Apple refuse to service it for fear of getting blamed for a scratch? What if a repair means replacing one of the colored components? (for example does a screen replacement involve Apple techs just swapping the whole lid, or do they disassemble to the screen level?)

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I got afraid the moment the video cut to some dude taking it apart and then saw the price and I was like :eek:

6. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

It will wear and scratch. They do a great job but its going to scratch.