Colorware experience - . . .

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Digital Nomad, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Digital Nomad macrumors newbie

Best wishes to all for a great 2012!

Recently decided to use Colorware to change the color of my MBA and wanted to check how different my experience was from others.

I placed my order in the beginning of November and was quoted a 2-3 weeks turnaround time. This worked well for me as it was a Christmas gift.

In the beginning of December I called again and was assured that by computer would be shipping on December 10th. When I did not receive the computer by December 20th, I called back and was told that the machine would not be ready for Christmas.

When I called the sales manager to complain, he appeared to be genuinely perplexed as to what the issue was, as Colorware ended up shipping the computer on January 3rd. The sales manager confirmed that Colorware was in full production mode in December - so I was at a loss at what happened, until I realized that Colorware offered rush orders that were shipping in 2 weeks for a premium of $750

Wonder if there are other folks that had a similar experience with Colorware over past December. Given my experience, I would not use Colorware again (in particular during busy parts of the year)

2. Joos24 macrumors regular

You may not get many responses of experience here in regards to Colorware as it's quite an expensive venture for most people just to have a custom painted Macbook but I will say while your experience wasn't perfect at all in regards to the ETA's they promised, it's very possible that they got backed up since it was afterall xmas time. Send us a pic of your finished Air once it arrives. Dying to see it. :)

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I too would also like to see what your MacBook Air will look like. You HAVE to post pictures!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I looked at colorware only out of curiosity - its way too much $$ for me. Looks cool but I can't afford it.

I'm surprised to hear how busy they were given the premium pricing.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well it probably takes a while to assemble. I've used them once before, getting a custom colored Grip for iPad 2 for my mom and it didn't take TOO long, but then again, it's just a grip.

6. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

If you have your MBA painted by ColorWare, do you keep your AppleCare Warranty? or is it void?

7. Robyr macrumors regular

Its void as hell.

8. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Pics please :D ! I've never seen any except the mockups on their website. Would love to see what it looks like in real life.

It's too expensive for me too by the way.

----------

Makes sense though... How would you expect them to replace parts such as the screen assembly? They won't have painted parts in stock.

You can buy the laptop directly from ColorWare though, they provide warranty according to their website: http://www.colorware.com/support.aspx?mainClass=showWarranty

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Very Cool, but too expensive for me. I too, am curious as to what they look like from non-photoshop photos.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Any chance of some pics yet mate?