colour corrected and image stabilized before capturing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hey there,

I just saw an ad by a video transfer outfit who claims they can colour correct and image stabilize footage BEFORE capturing and encoding.

Is this possible? i'm wondering how it can possibly be done - is there a device which can analyze material prior to capturing? I can't see how this would work b/c footage is usually different through a tape? ie. i've seen some tapes where the footage was brutally discoloured and other areas where it was fine.

any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks Rod Rod. I wondered about that. I'm using the canopus advc-300 which has TBC so i imagine my process is the same. the tbc is built in and i know i can adjust certain criteria on the fly.

interesting..

Cheers,
    Keebler

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Technically speaking, a TBC doesn't stabilize the image; it stabilizes the video signal timing. Most TBCs also have adjustable proc amp controls for chroma level, hue, brightness and contrast.

There are software solutions for image stabilization (correcting for shaky camera work) ... After Effects can do a pretty decent job if you know what you're doing.

-DH

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

good point about the stabilization. the only issues i've really seen with footage is old 8mm reel which can be very damaged in terms of colour and brightness issues. i find software helps to bring it back to life. i might see if i can rent/borrow one just to see the difference, if any, with some of my transfers.

cheers,
    keebler

6. -DH macrumors 65816

If you've ever played back an old analog tape, such as VHS an noticed that vertical lines seem to be wavy ... especially near the top left portion of the screen ... those are due to timing errors inherent in analog tape playback. Those are the types of problems that TBCs were meant to deal with.

Using a full frame TBC when digitizing analog footage is one of the best things you can do for it.

-DH

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Isn't color correction something you want to do at a very late stage in editing? Like something you do shortly before you master?

8. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i think in most cases yes, but i trying to discover if a tbc would fix any colour issues which occurred b/c of the tape being unstabilized if that's the word.