Colour loss on 24" iMac 8,1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dazzer21, Aug 28, 2014.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

I noticed this morning that the light blue/white horizontal strips in my file listing windows weren't showing up. On closer inspection, light blues in general were not showing up well on anything and gradients were stepping. It reminds me of the difference between selecting thousands of colour and millions of colours in OS9. Full colour images are appearing flatter with noticeable stepping on extreme light/dark areas. It's a 2008 24" with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256MB running Snow Leopard. I've checked it agains another identical machine I have and there's definitely a difference. I've re-calibrated the screen and that's made little or no difference. Would it be the card or physically the screen?

2. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

As an update, I have plugged an external monitor in to run extended desktop mode, and that too is showing the same lack of colour. So unless it is some sort of software glitch, would the card be on its way out? Do they go gradually or is it just 'lights out'?

3. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorted

Here's one I didn't know about:
    ctrl-alt-cmd and comma (,) or full stop (.) alter contrast! It somehow became set to full. Adjusting it has it back to normal now. Phew!!

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Wow. I've got the same machine as you and I would never have known that! Learn something new every day... Thanks!

5. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brian33

I just notice you've got a 'DIY Fusion Drive'; was that difficult?

D21