Colour Profile for LED 15" MacBook Pro (Gloss)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hi-there, Jun 19, 2007.

1. hi-there macrumors member

Hi all,

I have had the pleasure of switching to Apple MacBook Pro 15" (gloss) with the new LED backlight. One of things that concerned me before my purchase was, how good is the display? I am a photographer so it was very important for me. Some said, "same" and others say "brighter". How about the colour accuracy? Who really knows?

Now that I have one, I will offer you my opinions. In a nutshell. It is far better than my old HP nx7010 laptop (which looks dull now). Since not all of you would own a nx7010, that might be a limited help. So, I have attached a colour profile you can have a look (http://www.savefile.com/files/825401). This was achieved with the brightness of the display set to the 3rd brightest... or make it full brightness and press [lower brightness] button twice (about 220 cd/m2... if that means anything to you). To achieve the colour temperature of 6,500K and Gamma 2.2 is pretty good in my book. After my previous experience with nx7010 (didn't come anywhere near it). I could not risk adjusting the colour on my laptop... it would come out VERY different. Now with MBPro, I am happy to adjust photographs on the road.

To me (human), the display brightness appear pretty even but my GretagMacBeth Eye-One Display 2 tells me otherwise. I am borrowing this analysis method from a notebook review site which reviewed displays as well... unfortunately I lost my link and I can not credit them for their ideas (if anyone think they have seen similar review methods as below, please post and I will credit them).

Anyway, the above mentioned site measures 9 spots (3 columns and 3 rows) on the display to test the even brightness of laptop displays. Also, I recall reading in one of their reviews that many laptop displays can rarely break the 200 cd/m2 in brightness.

At the brightest setting (in cd/m2) - centre of display is 345cd/m2
    ---------------------
    | 353 | 335 | 311 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 331 | 345 | 323 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 302 | 392 | 401 |
    ---------------------

At the 2nd brightest setting (in cd/m2)
    ---------------------
    | 280 | 266 | 247 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 263 | 273 | 257 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 240 | 310 | 318 |
    ---------------------

At the 3rd brightest setting (in cd/m2)
    ---------------------
    | 223 | 211 | 196 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 209 | 217 | 204 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 190 | 246 | 252 |
    ---------------------

At the 4th brightest setting (in cd/m2)
    ---------------------
    | 186 | 177 | 164 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 174 | 182 | 171 |
    |------|------|-----|
    | 158 | 205 | 210 |
    ---------------------

So the LED back lit 15" display on MacBook Pros are VERY BRIGHT if you want to work that bright. Personally, I like around 3rd brightest to 4th brightest settings.

In terms of colour, I noticed that the MacBook Pro 15" LED display was too blue/cyan. I accept that no 2 displays are the same but as the difference is so dramatic, I have attached my icc colour profile, just in case someone might want to use it. It should bring the colour a lot closer to 'true' to life colours than leaving it default (remember to set your display to the 3rd brightest setting). You can download the icc file from http://www.savefile.com/files/821812.

I hope this helps someone out there!

EDIT: New link as the old file got deleted

2. mayoko185 macrumors member

Do you have a LG or Samsung panel? Nice color profile btw :D

3. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

I have changed my profile so I could figure out the 13th line of the Display > Colour profile bit... any other way to tell LG or Samsung?

4. mayoko185 macrumors member

Only way I know of is to go to the color profiles in sysprefs > Click on Color LCD > Open Profile > 2nd to last line > model if its 9C68 its a Samsung if 9C67 LG, hope I helped..

5. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

What is the default "Display Profile"? Is it Apple RGB?

6. mayoko185 macrumors member

For me the default Display Profile is "Color LCD"

7. Sopranino macrumors 6502

Hi-There.

That is a great post. It is really nice to hear an opinion, from a professional photographer, on glossy screens. Thanks for taking the time to run a test and post the results if reference to the display brightness. Although audio editing does not require accurate colours I am going to give your colour profile a try.

Thanks again for the great post, good information.

Sopranino

8. giganten macrumors 6502a

I did download the profile and it is perfect :D thanks for the help.

But I have a question if someone want to help me.
    You did talk about 3rd brightest to 4th brightest settings but where do you change that? I can only see a slider to change brightness.

9. giganten macrumors 6502a

yeah i did have that too as default.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

Thanks! Very interesting. It's also interesting to note that the brightness is so high. The previous ones, when reviewed by notebookcheck.com showed around 250cd/m2 at the brightest spot! So much for Apple's claim that the displays are identical in every aspect except the backlight...

11. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

erm i thin the F2 and F3 keys are like short cuts to adjusting the brightness....they have like a little sun icon on them.

when you press them a little graphic pops up on screen and it has a series of little squares. id imagine 3rd setting is the 3rd square down from the far right.

so you should have 2 grey squares.

12. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

9C67 - LG is what I have.

13. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear that it worked! I was wondering about how it would go on another MBPro as no two machines are exactly the same...

Re: The 3rd brightest - I am referring to the brightness adjustment using the keyboard... F1 (less bright), F2 (brighter). So... just press F2 until the brightness is set to full... than press F1 twice to get to the 3rd brightest setting.

14. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

Unless you calibrate the display (or you change it yourself), it should be set to this default.

15. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

It is interesting about the brightness... why Apple claim what they claim... mmmm....

16. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

You beat me to it! :)

17. giganten macrumors 6502a

LG here too..
    And thanks for all help guys. :D

18. glhiii macrumors regular

Works on Macbook too

Thanks for the profile. I put it on my Macbook and found that it makes text easier to read (not so washed out). Seems to be good for any of the new glossy screens.

19. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I'll agree with that - makes everything look much better on my MBP (not that it was bad to begin with!).

20. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

21. PDE macrumors 68020

It's an excellent profile on my LG matte too. Thanks!

22. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

doesnt really answer my question :p

stop telling me how excellent it is and tell me how i install it !:D

i have an LG glossy display too, so this should work good right?

23. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Just download it, get the icc file, go to Macintosh HD, go to Library, go to Color Sync, put that icc file in Profiles (inside the ColorSync folder), go to System Preferences, go to Displays, go to Color (inside Displays) and select that file you downloaded and after that the screen will be calibrated. :)

24. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

whoa got it, yeah this makes a big diff

i get a yellow hue over the screen from extreme left or right viewing angles, but i thnk this is actually due to the glossy coating

loaded up this profile and its much better than the stock one....and no yellow piss stain on the llower 1/3 or if there is i cant see it!

i think this looks boss on full brightness as well. but it still cant match the vivid beauty of my dell 2005fpw.

tell you what is wierd....this profile casts a red hue over the keyboard while the stock on is more of a yellow/green

25. hi-there thread starter macrumors member

Glad to hear matte displays are benefiting as well.