Coloured dots on photos in Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hallaisen, Jun 18, 2010.

1. hallaisen macrumors regular

I tried posting this in the iMac section, but got no response. Basically I've had my iMac 27" for a while, and just ignored this annoying issue where there are coloured marks/dots over photos in Aperture. This was the case with Aperture 2 and continues to be the case with Aperture 3. Sometimes they are green and sometimes they are red. It happens regardless of which lens I am using, and if I import the same photos to any of my other macs they are totally fine. Anyone got any idea what's wrong? Here are two examples ( simple screenshots of what I see in Aperture..if I export the photo it will show up fine):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS. I shoot all my photos in RAW format and use a Nikon D80.

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

That's very strange. Do they show up even if you loupe an area? Does it matter if you are on quick preview or not?

3. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

they do not show up in preview or loupe mode. they appear once the photo goes through the "loading" process when you click on it.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

First thing is to figure out if it is Aperture, or our iMac.

I don't use Aperture, so can't provide any real help there, however..... it's almost as if the red dots correspond to parts of the image that are too dark, and the green dots to areas that are too light. I say "almost" because it's not quite that.

Perhaps is an "out of gamut" warning. Aperture is showing you areas where the colours in the file are not in the colour range it can show you. I don't think it's that either, but it may be something similar. I'm hoping this will twig a memory for you about some feature you were playing with before this showed up.

First step is to reset Aperture back to factory defaults. Can't help you that, but perhaps an Aperture forum can. Actually, before that step.... check what profile your monitor is using, and make sure it matches the profile that Aperture is expecting. Perhaps the profile for the monitor is corrupted....

The fact that it only happens with Aperture would lead me to believe it's a software issue, and not hardware.

Hope some of these ideas will help, though I know you were hoping for a "fix".

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Zoom in on the window in the first shot. There are green pixels in there. It looks like the red ones indicate over saturated black and the green ones burned out whites. Have you played with the controls in A3 that add fill light (black correction) and adjust the white point? All my post is done in PhotoShop CS3. I see warnings like this in red and blue.

Dale

6. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think its got anything to do with 'hot' and 'cold' areas of the photos, as there is a way to toggle that on and off, and the original coloured marks don't really correspond all that well with where the burnt out and too dark areas are. I'm 99% sure I haven't changed any Aperture settings either, but I will look into the color profile tip. Thanks for the help, and keep the input coming please :)

7. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

just noticed another thing: if i go into fullscreen mode some of the marks go away and some new ones appear in different spots than the old ones.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

that is indeed strange. I haven't noticed this ever before. Could it be a corrupt file? Is this on all photos?

9. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

yep they're on all my photos. even old jpegs that I took with a point-and-shoot years ago. Also, I just noticed that the dots move around when I make any adjustments to 'levels'.

10. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Occasionally I get a similar problem were red or green lines appear in my images however it takes up about 1/8 of an image and happens only every 5000 files. Regenerating the preview solves this and it only affects jpg previews that Aperture makes.

Because your problem affects both the Aperture previews and exported images I would suspect it is something with the Aperture RAW engine. I shoot RAW on a Nikon D80 as well and have no problems so I don't think it is Nikons NEF files.

I would uninstall your copy of Aperture completely and save your library on a separate hard disk (important as it will defragment the library). Then, reinstall Aperture, copy your library back over and launch Aperture holding the option key. Get Aperture to rebuild your library and once done see if it solved it.

Otherwise, contact Apple.