Colours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cellocello, Sep 26, 2008.

1. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've been thinking about it .. and I wonder where Apple's gonna take the iPhone next.

I mean, I think from a basic connectively level - it might be almost there. The big cries were from lack of 3G (which kinda prevented Apple from taking the thing worldwide; something which has since been corrected). I guess they could introduce a CDMA-based phone, but I dunno .. seems unlikley.

There's been a bunch of chatter about some crazy souped-up iPhone people are expecting next year - but I kind of doubt it. I think we're at the "introduce new colours" phase of the iPhone. I'm not expecting radical changes in the hardware next year.

... Or is it too "serious" of a product to come in nano-style colours? The iMac no longer comes in candy colours, it seems to have "grown up" a bit in the past couple years - is the iPhone "adult-ish" in the same way? Would you guys go for a nano style coloured iPhone?

2. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

My opinion is that Apple would only introduce such a modified iPhone for China only, since it's such a large market.

On the colors, I think Apple may introduce more colors later, but do not think now is the time. It could drive more sales though. But a lot of people will stay at the basis and keep it simple and stylish, also known as black or white.
    Think the Nano and Shuffle are more the color familiy;)

3. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah ... I was thinking at the next big Apple event (spring 09).

People are hardcore expecting some crazy souped up iPhone - and I'm thinking more along the lines of 32 gigs and new colours.

4. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

There are a lot of people i know who dont really care about the color of thier phone only because they keep it in a case anyway, but if there were colors I'm sure quite a few people may be more interested in the iphone

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Depends, is it chicken noodle, clam chowder or french onion?

6. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I would like them to do colours but they have never strayed far with the iPods with colour, maybe they can do it with the iPhone Nano! :D

7. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

if they had a cdma iphone, i would immediately buy it. apple is going to get tired of at&t and when thier agreedment expires, i certianly hope that we see a CDMA version.
    verizon iphone... *dreaming*

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would love to see an AWS compatible 3G iPhone for use on T-Mobile USA when the at&t contract is up.

I would also like to see a flip phone, with a split screen to make it smaller.

I think the backs should be changeable, like phones from around 2004, then you could have your own colors, but that is what cases are for.

I think that Apple should still make the iPhone EDGE but allow it to be sold with contracts as a free phone.

TEG

9. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow, are you being serious?

Introducing a flip phone would be development and UI craziness -- it'd have to be a whole new platform, with new apps and new everything. This seems the most unlikely of all, to me.

You think Apple's going to eventually branch of the iPhone product line, and have several concurrent non-compatible offerings?

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i want colors! Colors would be the only thing to get me to sell my 1st gen for a 3g.

11. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Colours... no chance!

Apple really want to market the iPhone for business/enterprise and colours would not help the image of the device as a serious business product.

The best you might get it detachable backs (which I guess businesses could use to print their company logo on.)

12. ribenaberrie macrumors member

I'm not sure if I want them to release more colours. I think it might cheapen the look of the iphone. Also if there were more colours I would have a hard time choosing. :p

13. goodgod102 macrumors newbie

That would be highly unlikely since 3G networks already use wideband CDMA. It would be taking a step backwards.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

CDMA is being phased out... well at least here in Canada it is. Telus and Bell are supposed to be introducing GSM smart phones later this year. So by the time the AT&T/Apple contract is done, there will be some crazy new technology and/or maybe new companies.

15. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Since we're (presumably) nearing the launch of the new iPhones, I thought I'd bump this old chestnut.

So, ... you guys think new colours are likely? If so, which ones? Just a Product(red) one? Pink maybe?

I can't tell if Apple is ready to "fun-ify" the iPhone just yet, as opposed to keeping it a bit more "serious" with just black and white.

16. Andruw91 macrumors regular

As long as they have black that's all I care about. Maybe a dark silver, but I still think I'd stick to black

17. randomusername macrumors 6502

I hope they keep the glossy black and white. But really want them to introduce a matte black/grey and a matte red iPhone.

18. bigchief macrumors 6502a

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Just what I was going to say! I don't mind how many colours it comes in as long as they still do black. Or a nice black and silver (brushed silver, not a fingerprint magnet).

20. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I wonder what the top selling colour for iPods is . . . I'd guess pink would be high up there. Most girls I know have pink iPods (and a fair few have pink phones too)

21. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya, that's a good question - I wonder which current Nano colour is the highest selling.

Maybe it's just plain old black and white for all we know .... ?

22. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I think Apple probably have every feature planned for the iPhone when they first announced it... then they took out everything, and marketed it. If they made a phone with everything, then they couldn't sell new ones and get people to buy more than one phone like most people here would probably do. Thats what I think anyway. :p

23. jlwillia macrumors regular

Colours or Colors?

I find it funny/interesting that there are slight variations in the English language in which the same word is spelled several different ways. Before reading the thread, I was guessing you were from the UK. Apparently the French influence in Ontario can be seen in the use of the spelling "colour"

At any rate, I don't think Apple will introduce a wide variety of colors (American here) in the iPhone like they did in the iPod because it would cannibalize their own sales. Unlike the iPod, the iPhone isn't an impulsive purchase. I think the wide variety of colors is a way to attract the "on the fence" people who aren't sure about buying an iPod but then see one in their favorite color and decide to buy it.

Unfortunately, the purchase of a new phone involves too much thought to be an impulsive buy. For this reason, I doubt a wide variety of colors will increase sales.

24. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Or, you know, that whole British colony influence thing on all of Canada. ;)

But yea, I agree with what you're saying about the iPhone not really being an 'impulse' purchase.

But other expensive smartphones come in various colours - maybe it's time for apple to follow suit. Besides, Apple's kind of a " just for the style of it" kind of company, you know?

25. jlwillia macrumors regular

You might be right. However, Apple isn't trying to be like other smartphone; they are all trying to be more like the iPhone. Apple already offers a choice of colors - white or black. In my opinion, Apple doesn't need to offer any more colors to continue selling phones and any increase in sales from offering more colors would be minimal.

Just to clarify, I believe Apple would offer more colors if, by doing so, they would reap large returns. However, the law of decreasing marginal benefits applies. Therefore, Apple has little incentive to offer more colors.

As a disclaimer: Of course, this could change in the future if the demand for more colors increase OR the demand for the current colors decreases.