Column Widths

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by abshole765, Apr 6, 2014.

1. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Not really a problem, but a major annoyance.

Is it possible to have columns automatically be sized based on the longest filename in Finder? Or at least keep it where I last sized it to. I'm not talking about while in Column View, but in List View.

I double click the separator between Name & Size (or whatever the next column may be), close out of the window, reopen it and it's back to where it was. It never saves where I sized it to, but it gets resized to the same place every time.

2. FotoDirk macrumors member

The only thing I know is to use the option key and change the width of the shown column. Then this width will be the new default width used from then on.

But I never seen a way to let it resize dynamically to match the content. This is possible by double clicking on the column boundary. But this does not stick as the next time you reopen that same folder it will be back to the default width.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Yes it is possible. Use the free Xtrafinder and there is an option for just this request in the preferences.

4. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

+1

5. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh nice. The aText app looks pretty nice too.

6. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Cool will have to look at Pathfinder as this really bugs me too.

Column view redone to resize columns would be great.

7. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like XtraFinder rarely works. Even if I have a set max width limit folders will open up with column widths all over the place.

8. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Isn't that the point (various filename lengths) or am I misunderstanding? The only complaint I have with XtraFinder's feature is that there's a noticeable delay in the resizing.

9. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In theory yes. But while messing around with it, I could have it set to adjust automatically and have a set max limit on the width, and when opening some finder windows the Name column would still take up the entire window, and others it would adjust to what I imagine the max limit is (I assume that because if I was to double click between the names it would adjust more).

I don't understand why I can't adjust the width and it stay like that throughout every finder window I open until I adjust it. I'll never understand why by default the Name column takes up the entire window, even when there's other columns.

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I've been using the script I found here. I created an application from the script (called it "Fix Window") and put it in the finder window toolbar. One click and the window columns sort out.

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Why don't you just post the app link here you created?

12. abshole765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This works great. It's ridiculous that this even needs to be done.

13. macross18 macrumors newbie

I wish apple to fix it for me. I hate doing these kind of fixits.

14. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Here's the one I made. I put mine in the Applications folder and command-dragged it to the window toolbar from there.

Attached Files:

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

thx