Column Widths

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Not really a problem, but a major annoyance.

Is it possible to have columns automatically be sized based on the longest filename in Finder? Or at least keep it where I last sized it to. I'm not talking about while in Column View, but in List View.

I double click the separator between Name & Size (or whatever the next column may be), close out of the window, reopen it and it's back to where it was. It never saves where I sized it to, but it gets resized to the same place every time.

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
The only thing I know is to use the option key and change the width of the shown column. Then this width will be the new default width used from then on.

But I never seen a way to let it resize dynamically to match the content. This is possible by double clicking on the column boundary. But this does not stick as the next time you reopen that same folder it will be back to the default width.

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
Yes it is possible. Use the free Xtrafinder and there is an option for just this request in the preferences.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Cool will have to look at Pathfinder as this really bugs me too.

Column view redone to resize columns would be great.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Seems like XtraFinder rarely works. Even if I have a set max width limit folders will open up with column widths all over the place.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Seems like XtraFinder rarely works. Even if I have a set max width limit folders will open up with column widths all over the place.
Isn't that the point (various filename lengths) or am I misunderstanding? The only complaint I have with XtraFinder's feature is that there's a noticeable delay in the resizing.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Isn't that the point (various filename lengths) or am I misunderstanding? The only complaint I have with XtraFinder's feature is that there's a noticeable delay in the resizing.
In theory yes. But while messing around with it, I could have it set to adjust automatically and have a set max limit on the width, and when opening some finder windows the Name column would still take up the entire window, and others it would adjust to what I imagine the max limit is (I assume that because if I was to double click between the names it would adjust more).

I don't understand why I can't adjust the width and it stay like that throughout every finder window I open until I adjust it. I'll never understand why by default the Name column takes up the entire window, even when there's other columns.