.com?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 24, 2008.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I may be wrong, but I do not remember ever needing to type in .com at the end of websites.. for example, to go to macrumors i would just type in macrumors.. now when i type it in, i get domain not found.. did i change a setting or something? how can i get it back?

2. kolax macrumors G3

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That shouldn't be required.

What does the error page look like? Is it an error message from Safari, or are you taken to another website? If it's the latter, it may be a DNS issue.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Exactly, it isn't required. If you do, then you get a page error.

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it says domain not found.. and it seems like it is an error from my cable company... i just got back from school so maybe it is something new?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Then yes, it sounds like a DNS issue.

7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It might be because... either you are trying to use your school's DNS and they're rejecting you or your cable company has a crap DNS.

For the former: If you go to System Preferences -> Network -> Your network connection type (Airport or Ethernet or whatever) -> TCP/IP, look to see if there are DNSes specified. If there are, try taking them out and see if it works then.

For the latter: You would need to add a better DNS to the list, instead.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

I just type macrumors and hit Ctrl-Enter in Firefox.

10. kolax macrumors G3

How in any way, does that give an explanation on what it is going wrong and how he can fix it? :rolleyes:

11. belvdr macrumors 603

Maybe he can start hitting Ctrl-Enter instead of just Enter? That's a fix in my opinion.

What's with the rolleyes lately around here? Seems like everyone's all tensed up. Your statement was enough without the need to be uptight about it.

At any rate, most ISPs now are pointing users to search engines when they don't enter FQDN's.

12. chipchen macrumors 6502

My cable company does this.. it's really annoying. My previous provider would route me through.

Most of the time safari auto-completes it... but from time to time it doesn't.