Combat Straps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by lg251, Nov 16, 2015.

1. lg251, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

lg251 macrumors 6502

On Saturday, I drove to Montreal and visited Aaron's Atelier to see where the magic happens. I thought I'd give him a shout out here (even though I'm aware many of you already know him) to describe my positive experience doing business with him.

If you've never had the chance to meet him in person, Aaron is a gentlemen and a scholar. It doesn't take very long to notice that he's a connoisseur and an artist. When discussing the various material he uses and the techniques used to put everything together, you're rapidly overwhelmed by his knowledge. The quality of his craftsmanship reflects in every strap that comes out of his shop. As I was taking pictures, I noticed a crate full of straps lying around. Many of which I would have worn without hesitating. To my surprise, this was the "not good enough" ans scraps bin. Straps that leave the atelier have to be perfect he said. Every strap I've ever purchased from him (waiting on another one as I'm writing this) goes in consonance with this phrase.

Here's a few pictures I took when I stopped by over the weekend (some were taken with my iPhone).

Oh, and I picked up the Electric Blue Suede Alligator with patina stitching you see below. [​IMG]
    I'll post the other one coming in soon!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Looks nice! Great color too. Thanks for the pics. I'm familiar with his site from previously searching for bands. Since you were there at his shop and have talked to him, curious if you know if he is buying OEM adapters from Apple's source and if you know what kind of threadlocker he uses?

BTW surprised you went with what? black adapters and buckle? and not stainless.

3. Snoopy16 macrumors regular

Looks great. I am hoping Santa comes through for Christmas and my husband for my birthday! :)

4. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

No he doesn't use OEM adapters. He uses watchshoppe as the standard also has the open adapters with springbars.

As for the black, it was the one I had for the pics but switched to stainless already! Hehe

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I also had a custom strap made by Combat, and it turned out just great. I will post a photo when back in town. Really happy with it, and might order another!

6. Snoopy16 macrumors regular

Would love to see it. I have two from Aaron and love them. So unique.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes please share! :)

He uses real Goyard bags to make these straps. I suggest you send him an email for a quote.

9. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I'd add this one to the thread. This is a 4 years old band from Combat Straps. Chocolate alligator with light blue stitching.
    [​IMG]

10. JonMPLS, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I sent in this sketch and received the band attached. I have a couple more formal options so wanted a unique casual look with this one. Really happy with the result! I like a single, floating keeper. The buckle is a touch big, but in keeping with the casual design. I also like having the holes a little closer together than average for more adjustment. Thinking of ordering the same thing in black!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jimfastcar1 macrumors member

jimfastcar1

12. jimfastcar1 macrumors member

jimfastcar1

Little question these appear to be very nicely made, nice colors and designs
    The price I find is quite steep though.....

13. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

The price goes with the quality (materials, hand crafting, etc). These straps take about 7-8 hours each to make. They're rugged and last a very long time.

In comparison, I have some clock work synergy leather straps (their high end stuff) and they already look and feel very used after 6 months. One of my combat strap, is 4 years old and still feels a lot better.

It all depends on what your preferences are.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks nice, do you have a link for his store, or is it brick and mortar only?

15. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you go:
    http://www.combat-straps.com/

16. Snoopy16 macrumors regular

My new band--green ostrich leg with blue stitching. Love how deep and rich the color is on this.

Attached Files:

17. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Do they offer any kind of treatment on leather for waterproofing?

18. Snoopy16 macrumors regular

I am not sure as I've never asked Aaron. I'm sure he'd be happy to respond though if you email him.

19. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks gorgeous!

20. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't have that kind of treatment for leather.

I've never had an issue with light water on leather, but I don't swim with my AW ;)

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I don't swim or diving with my AW also.
    It is not water I am afraid. It is soap, oil, dirt, and all other chemical.
    I wash my hand pretty often, and occasionally get my hand very dirty at work. Wearing leather band to work is nice, but I just don't want to have to remove my watch every time I wash my hand or before I know it will get dirty, have to re-enter passcode, and there is always time I get dirty without knowning ahead of time I will.
    Having a waterproof leather band is best of both worlds, both pretty and simple warm water will clean it up without soaking through the leather.

22. lg251, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not my cup of tea, seems too busy, but if you like it, that's all that matters.

24. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I've always liked the "pattern" design from Goyard. I saw this as a nice opportunity to have a piece of their brand without having to spend 1000$ for a card holder hehe. But yeah all tastes are in nature, some people don't like these.

25. Snoopy16 macrumors regular

Here is the pink stingray with minimal pink stitching that I received for Christmas. The photos do not do it justice as the stingray has a lovely iridescence in the light.

Attached Files: