Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
I have the net thru ethernet (cable modem) and now my friend across the street has gone wireless. The good thing is my computer is picking up his signal (its only a mac mini) and I would like to know if i can combine his net access with mine somehow and super charge my connection?

Thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I don't think so.

You'd have to have something special (software-wise) to specify which packets go out and come in on a certain line.

I'm not aware of such a beast, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I saw some stuff on tech tv about this a while back. when modems still were the dominate force they used to have shotgun technology where you combine two modems for twice the bandwidth. well it turns out you can't do this with ethernet. I think the problem comes in with two different isp, speed, lag etc etc. there are a ton problems.

there are devices called load balancers which will connect two different network connection together and balance the load. however that doesn't increase bandwidth.

so the short answer is no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.