Combine older Airport Extreme w/ new Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sergiobaschi, Oct 17, 2013.

1. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

To improve my Wifi's signal strength, I'm considering buying a new, ac-enabled Time Capsule (or maybe just an Extreme, we'll see about that).

I live in a rather small appartment, but with walls thick as up to 100 cm. In the bedroom we usually have only one dot on the iPhone signal strength icon. The iMac reaches somewhere around 20-30 Mb/s in the bedroom, where it's usually located, and up to 90 Mb/s in the kitchen, near the current base station, a last gen Extreme.

I assume the best setup would be to use the old AE as a repeater? I have a perfect spot for it in the middle of the appartment.

And also, I'm getting a new MBA within a week or so. Would it be able to use the ac-capability of the new Extreme/TC at all?

Thank you

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

You'll be able to use the AC on your MBA if you're in range of the Time Capsule. I have the same setup in my home, with the new AirPort Extreme as the primary router and an older Airport Express as a WAP. As long as the Extreme is putting out the stronger signal (i.e. it's closest), the MBA will get the benefit of AC.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

I have the exact same setup. It works a treat.

I suggest though you set up the new TC first, then reset the old extreme to factory and then when it boots it will find that the TC is already acting as the primary router (DHCP and NAT) and simply auto config to 'extending'. That way you do not get double NAT/DHCP etc. It is easier this way than trying to reconfigure your old extreme from a primary router to a repeater through changing settings.

4. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both. This decides it. Now I just have to decide whether to get the AE or TC.

5. opinio macrumors 65816

The current AE (and TC for that matter) support Time Machine on external USB drives so yo can get an AE and external USB drive or a TC by itself and you get the same options for Time Machine.

The older AEs do not support Time Machine although they usually work.

Even on gigabit ethernet I find the speeds are similar on an the internal TC drive and an external USB drive.

There is a slight advantage to the internal drive in a TC as well in that you can format it in the AirPort App, while you need to unplug the external drives to do any formatting on them.

Personally I prefer the TC as I am a minimalist so I suggest buying one if you can afford it. Otherwise an AE with an external USB drive is very similar, just a bit more clutter.

I have taken a 2TB TC and pulled it apart and put a 4TB drive inside :) The best of both worlds - capacity and all-in-one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600698

Just in case you are wondering... no you cannot install a HDD in an AE.

6. sergiobaschi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for sharing.

My current set up holds a last gen Extreme with a 4 TB external drive connected to it. I too enjoy a minimalistic design, but the devices are neatly hidden on top of a shelf.

I've decided to go with the TC as I want to minimize the use of the 4 TB drive