Combine Split .mov (.mov1, .mov2) Files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by billchase2, Apr 30, 2009.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Last year I did some video work while working off a FAT32 formatted external hard drive. Some of the files were larger than 4GB so FCP created files with the extensions: .mov, .mov1, .mov2, etc. These files edited just fine on my Mac and played just fine on my Mac. My issue, is that now the guy I did the video for wants to do some editing and he's on a PC. Apparently, he's using Premiere and Cyberlink PowerDirector and neither of them will open the files.

Is there a way to get this software to open them? Or is there a way to combine these files together to get one, large file to edit?

Thanks!

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you open the first movie in Quicktime Pro ( on your Mac ) does it let you watch the whole thing?

If so, just save it again as one movie.

If it doesn't, and makes you open each movie individually, you can open up multiple quicktime windows and then do File->New File and copy and paste them into the new movie.

Hope this helps!

3. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

Yes, it plays just fine on my Mac using Quicktime Pro. I'm just trying to come up with a solution for him to do since he lives over an hour away from me and has the files. If he could do something to fix the issue on his PC, it'd be perfect.

Thanks for the input! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

First have him rename the files from *.mov1 to *1.mov, suggest installing Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative.

5. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

He's tried opening it in Quicktime (the original .mov file) but apparently it won't play.