combine .srt with .avi = 1 file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HiddenHawaii, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HiddenHawaii macrumors newbie

Ive seen other threads with similar questions with no consistent answers. I'm not going to burn avi to dvd just want to create 1 file. As much information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

No is the answer. AVI is a very old and poor media container format and doesn't support subtitles . In order to display subtitles with AVI files, you need software that will find the appropriate SRT file and then overlay the subtiles on the video.

However, you could burn the subtitles directly onto the video, but then you'd never be able to turn them off. The DivX encoder apparently does this. I'm sure other encoders would too. So this solution would mean that you'd have to re-encode your content, not an ideal solution since you'll lose a fair bit of quality.

I'm assuming that you just want to burn the AVI to a DVD media, not actually transcode the AVI to the DVD format.

3. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

He said:

"I'm not going to burn avi to dvd"

If actually mixing down subtitles with the video is enough (and not including the subtitles in the container, so they can be switched on/off etc), then the answer is YES, and the single tool needed is here: http://www.bitfield.se/submerge/