Combine 'Today' and 'All' in Notification Centre Plus Dismiss Notification With Swipe

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kolax, Jun 7, 2014.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I wish Apple would combine the sections of Notification Centre into one (again). I don't use 'today' view much because I have to swipe back to 'all' so I can quickly glance at new notifications again. I've seen people argue for having them separate, and can see their point if you get a lot of notifications and just want to see your calendar quickly, but it's still only a swipe down, while keeping new notifications as the default view for Notification Centre.

Also, the ability to dismiss/delete notifications by swiping them to the left off the screen in one gesture would be good. Having to repeatedly tap a small 'x' is tedious and requires too much precision.

Anyone else agree?

2. marvz, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

3. schlaufox macrumors regular

I think both my Today and Notifications panels are too long for them to be effective as one entity, so I do prefer then being separate.

In terms of dismissing notifications, I'm happy with how it works in the iOS 8 beta, where single notifications can be dismissed with a swipe left and tap on "Dismiss" (screenshot attached if you haven't seen it). I've never really had a problem hitting the 'x' to dismiss multiple notifications.

Attached Files:

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah I wasn't aware that they'd changed the ability to dismiss notifications! That's an improvement over what we currently have to do but still an additional tap for something that could be done in one gesture.

Perhaps with widgets, having 'today' and 'notifications' separate may make sense, but I dismiss or keep notifications as reminders, so I'd rather notifications had priority over widgets even if the last view for notification centre was widgets.

5. schlaufox macrumors regular

Couldn't figure out from your reply if you know, but widgets will show up in the Today view. Philips have shown off a concept of how their Hue app's widget will look. There's a picture in the story linked.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/05/philips-prototype-hue-widget/

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

I think the current one is perfect... Today view shows the widgets and all the events from today, while all shows all the notifications. Separate for separate stuff and don't come in each other's way...

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I think by trying to bring in widgets, google now esque information, and actionable notifications, but in keeping with iOS conventions, they've made the NC super cluttered and clunky. As others have mentioned, a Philips hue widget doesn't really belong in the Today section of a Notification Center. And swiping, then tapping to dismiss, or swiping and tapping to reply is too many steps for what could be a simpler, more logical process.

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Are we ever gonna have just little notification icons in the top bar like Android? They're incredibly useful - info at a glance, rather than info after dragging, swiping and tapping. :confused:

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whats a simpler more logical process?

----------

Although I generally have always wanted something like that, consistently seeing various people (not everyone of course) with Android phones with their status bars full of all kinds of icons kind of makes me kringe a little thinking that having all that here could actually take longer to figure out what to deal with and make out all the little indicators in a row spanning the whole status bar.

In Apple's case, with iPhones in particular so far there just hasn't been enough space in the status bar to support most of that. In some way the app badges kind of taken that role on as well.