Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Is there a way to combine multiple usb drives to show up as one volume?

I'd like to be able to combine my whole media library so I don't have to select which disk I want to find what media, just appear as a single instance/drive.

I know that there is software RAID but I believe the way that works is if one drive fails they all do. There are the other raid types that allows combining and the ability to lose one drive but it decreases storage.

Is there a RAID or software solution that would combine the disks virtually but write whole/individual files to each disk so that in the case of a drive failure, the files on the other good disks wouldn't be lost too?

The other option is simple symlinks so I could for example have folders Movies 1 and Movies 2 as sources in XBMC which would make them show up combined in the library. But I think it would be nice to have it show up as one volume if it's easy so I don't have to do folder/storage management.

Any ideas? Is it worth the trouble?

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
RAID 0 is what you want, however, RAIDing usb connected drives is a bad idea. I would also never use software RAID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.