Combined SSD + HDD installation procedure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brunelbushi, May 21, 2013.

1. brunelbushi macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have read through this thread and would really appreciate it if those of you in the know could have a look through the process below and tell me if it is likely to work and if have missed anything.

1. Remove media files from Toshiba 750gb HDD so that the drive has less than 250Gb on it (I am going to re-sort these and switch to iPhoto to manage them and keep the originals on an external drive)
    2. Run Time Machine Backup
    3. Open mac up & remove superdrive
    4. Remove HDD & install into optibay/superdrive caddy
    5. Install caddy with HDD into optibay/superdrive
    6. Install Samsung 840 250Gb SSD into main bay
    7. Put MBP back together
    8. Boot from old HDD (using option key when powering on)
    9. Update & format SSD
    10. Use carbon copy cloner to clone HDD to SSD
    11. Check SSD by booting from it
    12. Re-format old HDD
    13. Re-organise files across both drives (user/home profiles etc as per http://mattgemmell.com/2011/06/21/using-os-x-with-an-ssd-plus-hdd-setup/)
    14. Run time machine backup
    15. Import media files into iPhoto library on HDD
    16. Enjoy a much faster MBP with a little more noise and more care because of the lack of SMS to protect HDD.

Is that likely to work?
    I am also wondering if it is worth cloning my HDD to an external drive or running another time machine backup between 11 &12 as well just in case.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. idufour macrumors member

You can make a full back up to time machine, install the ssd in optic bay, make a fusion drive, run recovery from USB, install mountain lion and restore your time machine back up. I think this procedure is a lot simpler.

3. lordboogie macrumors member

You should move the HD to the original location and put the ssd where the optical drive was. The original HD location will better protect the drive from vibrations than the optibay.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

No. The 2011 MBP's have known issues with SSD's in the optical bay. Put the SSD in the main bay and the HDD in the optical bay.

Per OWC:

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed.

5. brunelbushi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I wasn't aware of the possibility of using a fusion drive. I have done some more reading about it and I am tempted. Is that the setup you use on a MBP? I am curious whether the data shuffling will decrease battery life and increase disk wear a little, especially in the short run.

niteflyr - Yes exactly, I want full 6Gb/s speed from my SSD so it needs to go in the main drive bay.

Any other views on Fusion vs dual drive setup from those in the know?

6. brunelbushi thread starter macrumors newbie

Fusion a no go

So I just did some more digging and found this
    ruling out fusion for my MBP. Thanks anyway for the heads up.

7. brunelbushi thread starter macrumors newbie

Success

In case anyone in the future is curious, I followed the procedure above and have now completed it successfully.

MBP much quicker and quieter than before and definitely worth it.