Combined walk and run activity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MoodyM, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Sometimes when out for exercise I'll do a combined walk/run (run for 10 mins, walk for 10, run for 10, etc).

Would I better setting a walk or run activity on the Watch activity app? Would it even make a difference?

2. *balikpapan* macrumors newbie

*balikpapan*

I have Strava (on iPhone and watch), which is strictly speaking a running/cycling app. Last night I went for a 20 minute walk up some steep hills (HR 110 - 130), I told Strava to record my "run" in the Glances screen, it recorded the route and my HR, Activity recognised it as 20 mins exercise as part of my daily 30, and Lifesum (my food intake monitor) also recognised it as exercise. No need to enter it in Activity. After all, your walking speed could be my running speed, so these apps don't differentiate between activities as long as you're moving.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It probably only affects the AW's distance estimation. Apple keeps their calibration stuff a secret, so no telling. You ought to experiment with both settings and see which produces the most accurate distance. By contrast, Fitbit has a separate inputs for both a walking stride length and a running stride length. I suspect that FB uses cadence to then decide which stride factor to use. Maybe the AW does the same, so the walk versus run setting may not matter.

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If I'm going to just jog down to the park, do some body weight stuff, then jog-shuffle back, I just use Other.

I haven't compared the results to my Garmin (at least not that I can remember… maybe I did), so I don't know how accurate the AW is.