Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Honestly I’m gutted they got rid of the 12” Macbook it was the ultimate portable work device for 90% of people. I bought the last fully upgraded model with mobile i7 processor, 16gb ram etc, honestly it is still hands down the best portable device for work when partnered with a larger screen iPhone. I also have a 2018 iPad Pro and a 2019 iPad Mini and I can tell you I reach for the 12” Macbook every single time if I have to get any work done on the move. The iPad pro performance just isn’t made good use of when combined with all the workflow shortcomings of iOS. An example; I’ve been doing some work editing huge 100mp+ image files in Affinity with multiple layers. On the 12” Macbook everything works great, no lag. On a iPad Pro it crashes often and it just can’t deal with the image files which are like 1gb or larger.

In iOS something as simple as wanting to crop an image file stored in Files is a headache. Markdown and Shortcuts no longer includes a crop interface so I have to either copy in to the Photos app, edit, save back to files, delete from Photos App, or I have to use a third party app which will first usually duplicate the file to it’s own file type for editing etc. On the 12” Macbook Preview does everything I need quickly and easily. There are countless examples of simple tasks that are still too cumbersome in iOS.

May I ask how you use your Macbook for work and not MacBook Air? I personally feel the MBP is underpowered for what its supposed to be, MacBook is really weak on spec.

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
I think the keyboard kind of needs to be heavy so it isn't tipped over by the weight of the iPad. In a normal laptop, the battery and computer are in the keyboard section, not the screen section, so it does not have such a heavy display to support.

Imo, they did good to make the keyboard only slightly heavier than the iPad it supports. I still have concerns that this thing won't topple over all the time when used on my lap instead of on my desktop, though.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Lots of defensive comments on here so far, am I missing something in the original article that implies the MBA is better than the pro as it seemed to be just pointing it out weight considerations rather than coming down on one side or the other?

Personally I think that it is an interesting point that I would not have actually considered unless prompted (although I am still an iPad + Laptop guy at the moment anyway).

I think its more questioning what the actual story is here? The Magic Keyboard cover, just like the Brydge, effectively converts an iPad in to a laptop (form factor). Anybody who didn't expect it to weigh as much as a laptop was clearly living in cloud cuckoo land.

But the thing is, what's the problem with it weighing the same as a laptop?

Reactions: ericwn

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Anybody who didn't expect it to weigh as much as a laptop was clearly living in cloud cuckoo land.
Especially since screen size and performance are comparable to a laptop. But...

But the thing is, what's the problem with it weighing the same as a laptop?
Marketing. Maybe the promise of a new world with great lighter devices doesn't seem to pan out?

Quite obviously Apple themselves perceives it as an issue.
Why otherwise would they not tell us the weight?

...when they do for desktop keyboards, Magic mice, notebook protective covers, sleeves, external hard drives, etc?
Withholding the weight spec of a attachable/detachable keyboard / trackpad for a mobile "Pro" computer seems... just wrong and intransparent.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Marketing. Maybe the promise of a new world with great lighter devices doesn't seem to pan out?

...when they do for desktop keyboards, Magic mice, notebook protective covers, sleeves, external hard drives, etc?

I think they rightly understood that if they published weights before people had them in hand to use them, the weights would have completely dominated the narrative. I expect weights will be added sooner than later.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
After having it for 20 mins or so I’m quite happy for the extra weight as on a lap it is far better balance than the old ASK was. Certainly feels more secure and better to type without typing at a funny angle.

Reactions: darkslide29

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Withholding the weight spec of a attachable/detachable keyboard / trackpad for a mobile "Pro" computer seems... just wrong and intransparent.

I don't know anybody who was thinking the Magic Keyboard would make for some sort of lighter device and its not like Apple could have kept it a secret. Of course, they could have been worried that if they'd published the weight, that it would become the story as happens these days.

You could spin it the other way and point out that there's now effectively an iOS laptop which you can remove the screen from and use as a tablet...

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
This is a perfect example of today's empty "news" business.

Modularity has always had a penalty in size. That's not even remotely news in a design perspective.

Further the point of the keyboard is to provide tablet users with a desktop option for those who might want it . Most likely at their desk, not on the go. That said, you might occasionally take it on the go, not regularly.

If you always or regularly need a keyboard on the go, well.....the concept of a laptop such as.....the MacBook Air exists.

No sugar Sherlock. Actual news please. Not click-chasing to nowhere...

This is (bad) news because Apple always insisted on the weight even until the iPad Pro starts to bend. It doesn’t make sense to optimize the weight until you got structural problems and than add a keyboard that weights more than the whole iPad.

For me this is an example of bad execution and design. The Surface for example use the clever design choice to integrate the stand into the case. Because of that you don’t need heavy keyboard cases with integrated stands and hinges. The Type Cover for the Surface Pro with backlit, Trackpad and good keys weights only 308 grams which is less than half of the 710 grams of the new Magic Keyboard. It only cost about $100 and not $350 like the Apple keyboard.

Even the combination I use for may IPPs since 2015, a Smart Cover together with the excellent „original“ iMac Magic Keyboard weights only 389 grams. An iPad that weights more than in MBA is ridiculous .....

Last edited:
Reactions: AppliedMicro

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
For me this is an example of bad execution. The Surface for example use the clever design choice to integrate the stand into the case. Because of that you don’t need heavy keyboard cases with integrated stands and hinges. The Type Cover for the Surface Pro with backlit, Trackpad and good keys weights only 308 grams which is less than half of the 710 grams of the new Magic Keyboard.
That built-in stand on the Surface is fine for desktop usage, but it won't work well for using on your lap. The device most equivalent to what Apple is offering here would be the Surface Book, which is heavier than the 12.9" iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard/Case.

Reactions: Osamede

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
That built-in stand on the Surface is fine for desktop usage, but it won't work well for using on your lap. The device most equivalent to what Apple is offering here would be the Surface Book, which is heavier than the 12.9" iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard/Case.

The Surface Book is definitely a Notebook and not a tablet any more. That should be compared to the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. But there are even many 13“ Notebooks out there that are much lighter than the 12.9" iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard/Case. Today the MBA is more on the heavier side of the Ultrabooks (compared to 20 years ago when is was super light).

A tablet needs to be significantly lighter than a notebook because you hold it in your hands (even with a keyboard that you don’t want to detach all the time).

Last edited:

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
From what I’ve seen you’re not holding this in your hand with this keyboard attached. It doesn’t fold back and holding it in your would be like holding a laptop from its screen.

The Surface Book is definitely a Notebook and not a tablet any more. That should be compared to the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. But there are even many 13“ Notebooks out there that are much lighter than the 12.9" iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard/Case. Today the MBA is more on the heavier side of the Ultrabooks (compared to 20 years ago when is was super light).

A tablet needs to be significantly lighter than a notebook because you hold it in your hands (even with a keyboard that you don’t want to detach all the time).

Reactions: Osamede

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Honestly I’m gutted they got rid of the 12” Macbook it was the ultimate portable work device for 90% of people. I bought the last fully upgraded model with mobile i7 processor, 16gb ram etc, honestly it is still hands down the best portable device for work when partnered with a larger screen iPhone. I also have a 2018 iPad Pro and a 2019 iPad Mini and I can tell you I reach for the 12” Macbook every single time if I have to get any work done on the move. The iPad pro performance just isn’t made good use of when combined with all the workflow shortcomings of iOS. An example; I’ve been doing some work editing huge 100mp+ image files in Affinity with multiple layers. On the 12” Macbook everything works great, no lag. On a iPad Pro it crashes often and it just can’t deal with the image files which are like 1gb or larger.

In iOS something as simple as wanting to crop an image file stored in Files is a headache. Markdown and Shortcuts no longer includes a crop interface so I have to either copy in to the Photos app, edit, save back to files, delete from Photos App, or I have to use a third party app which will first usually duplicate the file to it’s own file type for editing etc. On the 12” Macbook Preview does everything I need quickly and easily. There are countless examples of simple tasks that are still too cumbersome in iOS.

The CPU in the 12" was gutless and completely hopeless for anything other than light productivity work.

For anyone requiring a little horsepower, the 12" was a no-go from day one.

Some good news for you though. I'm hearing the very first ARM based MacBook will be a 12" variant. Nothing more than a strong rumour at this stage.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The Surface Book is both a tablet and a laptop (when connected to its base/keyboard). Whether it's a particularly good tablet or laptop is debatable. The iPad Pro's CPU appears to be just as capable as the MacBook Air's, possibly moreso. The iPad OS is still in its infancy in terms of taking advantage of the power, and it may be that we'll actually see OSX for ARM become the "mode" that the iPad Pro runs when docked.

This dock is magnetic. The design is intended for you to easily/quickly undock it when wanting to use it in tablet mode.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
From what I’ve seen you’re not holding this in your hand with this keyboard attached. It doesn’t fold back and holding it in your would be like holding a laptop from its screen.

Ok, got ot. But that makes it even worse for me. If I want to use it as a tablet I have no cover and a big chunky accessory laying around (and I have to attach/detach it all the time). For me it makes more sense to use the lightweight Smart Cover which I can fold back and when I need a keyboard I add my small and lightweight „original“ Magic Keyboard, that even has function (scissor) keys, cost less than $100 and can be detached for a better distance. I have it always in my bag with the other stuff for the „desktop“ type of work. When I am running around, laying in my bed or sitting on the sofa I don’t need a keyboard....(but I need a cover and sometimes a stand).

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, got ot. But that makes it even worse for me. If I want to use it as a tablet I have no cover and a big chunky accessory laying around. For me it makes more sense to use the lightweight Smart Cover which I can fold back and where I need a keyboard I add my small and lightweight „original“ Magic Keyboard, that even has function (scissor) keys, cost less than $100 and can be detached for a better distance. I have it always in my bag with the other stuff for the „desktop“ type of work. When I am running around, laying in my bed or sitting on the sofa I don’t need a keyboard....(but I need a cover and sometimes a stand).

I would not buy the Magic Keyboard cover solely for the keyboard. I'd buy it for the trackpad and keyboard combined. As apps are updated to make better use of the trackpad, this will greatly narrow the gap between the iPad and a laptop in terms of UI.

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
I would not buy the Magic Keyboard cover solely for the keyboard. I'd buy it for the trackpad and keyboard combined. As apps are updated to make better use of the trackpad, this will greatly narrow the gap between the iPad and a laptop in terms of UI.

I think we won’t find out the complete value of the keyboard until Apple releases iOS 14.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015

For that I have my super small Switfpoint Bluetooth mouse (or with IOS 13.4 many other BT mouse) with me. Better than any trackpad...
[automerge]1587483004[/automerge]

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
For that I have my super small Switfpoint Bluetooth mouse (or with IOS 13.4 many other BT mouse) with me. Better than any trackpad...

Well, no it's not. (As a full time trackpad user, even for my intense, very precise workflow, I'll leave that discussion for another day). It's not because a mouse loses access to simple execution of most of the gestures that make this so useful, and further, it requires one to be sitting at a desk or table or other flat surface to use. An iPad, being designed to be extremely portable, is going to be used in all sorts of places where a mouse is just not an option.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Well, there you go. You've got a full size bluetooth keyboard and your mouse and you can use a simple cover for your iPad, and it sounds like all of that works best for how you like to use it.

What you've just decribed wouldn't work well for one of the main places I like to use my MacBook Pro: In my lap while lounging in my living room. But it sounds like this Magic Keyboard case *could* work very well in that situation.

Obviously, the costs start adding up, but I could see a setup where I've got a dedicated Bluetooth Magic Keyboard, mouse and/or trackpad, a USB hub, and a larger monitor on the desk in my home office, but then also have this Magic Keyboard case for when I want to use the iPad Pro in another part of my house. It would also be all I'd probably want/need when going on a short trip. And when I want to focus on drawing, I'd just pull it off the magnetic base. I don't see a need to have a separate flip cover/case also...I'd just snap it back onto the Magic Keyboard case and close it when I'm done using it.

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
If you already have an iPad Pro, this is a great upgrade, even if it is 300 bucks.
That being said, there is one drawback to this design. My wife and I sit on our patio watch it on a table. I don't want the keyboard there when I'm watching it like that. Logitech made a keyboard for the previous 10.5 inch iPad Pro that was detachable and had a back with a kickstand. It was a perfect set up except it was bulky as hell.
I think i will put it in my current thin case for this purpose and moving between the two cases. It's not a huge deal.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Well, there you go. You've got a full size bluetooth keyboard and your mouse and you can use a simple cover for your iPad, and it sounds like all of that works best for how you like to use it.

What you've just decribed wouldn't work well for one of the main places I like to use my MacBook Pro: In my lap while lounging in my living room. But it sounds like this Magic Keyboard case *could* work very well in that situation.

Obviously, the costs start adding up, but I could see a setup where I've got a dedicated Bluetooth Magic Keyboard, mouse and/or trackpad, a USB hub, and a larger monitor on the desk in my home office, but then also have this Magic Keyboard case for when I want to use the iPad Pro in another part of my house. It would also be all I'd probably want/need when going on a short trip. And when I want to focus on drawing, I'd just pull it off the magnetic base. I don't see a need to have a separate flip cover/case also...I'd just snap it back onto the Magic Keyboard case and close it when I'm done using it.

Looks like everyone has a different use case for the iPP. If I am „lounging in my living room“ I don’t need no keyboard or trackpad at all. I use the input device that I use 95% of the time and for what the iPad was designed for: my finger! All that keyboards and trackpads are nice to have and very useful for several business use cases but they are only additional. After asking for an indirect pointing device for years I gave up on that more than a year ago and got me an additional Surface Pro. That solves all my needs regarding input and output devices (like a extended mode display).

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
After 24 hours with the Magic Keyboard I am satisfied overall but with one caveat: The trackpad is sometimes too small, especially when dragging apps or text. I wish Apple had found a way to make the trackpad bigger. This is not a showstopper, but just something for the second generation of the Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: bluespark

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I sincerely wish I could agree with you.

[automerge]1587433547[/automerge]

Absolutely, we grabbed a few from a batch and the performance was insulting, needless to say the keyboard, lack of connectivity, storage, RAM, etc. Even with its anemic 5w processor, would get hot and had no thermals whatsoever.
One of the worst designed machines of the industry, a Cook era signature product. They were all returned within 10 days.

well, you are clearly a Louis fanboy but we have 12 designers running CC I design on these with i7 CPU’s with zero issues. And the in design files are gargantuan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.