Combining a surge protector with a UPS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iPilot, Aug 26, 2007.

1. iPilot macrumors newbie

Since I want to protect my new iMac as much as possible when it finally arrives, I've been researching APC backup systems. However, I've noticed that they typically don't have a very high joule rating for surge protection, typically in the neighborhood of 300 joules. I've also noticed that a dedicated surge protector with a joule rating anywhere between 2500 - 6000 can be had for $20 - $70.

It would seem the UPS is great at protecting against power outages, but not so great at surges. Is it possible / advisable to plug the UPS into a good surge protector, or would this not work? If not, why?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think I see what you're looking at. The surge suppression rating is 350-400 joules, from what I see. Basically, I don't think you need to worry about this. If you get anything with a surge great enough to go through one of these UPSes then nothing is going to save you. Its also worth considering that most of these units come with a $100,000+ surge warranty for protected devices, including damage from direct strikes.

Either way, its never advisable to combine multiple surge protectors or UPS units.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You should buy the best UPS (not APC) you can afford and only attack crucial devices like computers, monitors, and external drives to them.

You can attach a surge protector to a UPS but the likelihood of overloading the UPS by attaching multiple surge protectors or devices to that same UPS is high, I believe.

If you're that worried about it, do what I do. I have a power meter-based surge protector for the whole house. Your power company probably has details. It's about $5.00 per month for me, which isn't much compared to the cost of electronic equipment and appliances.

4. iPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

If not APC, which brand would you recommend?

Also, and I have no idea if this would make a difference or not, but I was referring to plugging the UPS into a good surge protector, not the other way around.

Thanks

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry. I misread that. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference, as long as you're careful not to overload the outlet.

I had good luck with Belkin and bad luck with APC. In fact, only the few I've read on MR have had good experiences with APC. If you can find refurbished models, I would go for those instead. It's too bad Liebert doesn't sell small home systems.