Combining an Airport Express and Extreme, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by craig5005, Sep 2, 2010.

1. craig5005 macrumors newbie

This may be a silly question and I think this should be possible, but don't feel like spending $100 and finding out I was wrong.

I currently have an Airport Extreme as my router. I would like to be able to wirelessly play music over my stereo, and therefore would like to purchase an Airport Express to achieve this functionality. If I were to add the AP Express to the network, would it act just as an access point and therefore I could play music wirelessly from my network? Or would it want to create a second network SSID and therefore I would have to switch between networks to play music etc?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Craig

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

When you set up the express there is an option to join or extend an existing wireless network.

I have an extreme, and three expresses (+ apple TV) that are all on the same network, all attached to speakers / stereos, and all can accessed via AirTunes (or I guess soon to be AirPlay)

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

unless you need to extend the range of your network, set it up to join the existing.

extending brings issues to the table, mainly it will cut your speed if you connect through the relay point instead of directly to the main base.