Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I live in a very rural area and until recently had access only to basic DSL providing download speeds of around 1-1.5 mbps and upload speeds of about .3 to .5 MBPS. A wireless provider moved into the area offering speeds of 3 to 8MBPS and uploads of 1.0 MBPS. So I went for it and signed on. It works pretty well but is occasionally unstable. I get around 3-4 MBPS most of the time.

More recently, my original DSL provider offered "bonded DSL" where two copper phone lines were bonded in a modem and provided 3 to 7 MBPS. Since neither service required a contract I signed up for this one also and figured I'd try them out and see which worked better, then drop one. This one provides 5-7 MBPS most of the time but occasionally bottoms out to near dial up speeds.

I wonder if there is any way to combine these either by hardware or some service to provide faster service and better reliability.

Anyone know of a way to do this? If there was, I'd do it in a heartbeat and keep both services.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What you want is called "link aggregation" and some routers will allow you to set this up. For example, I have an Asus router that can be configured this way (link).

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Thanks I have also heard of a device called a Mushroom Networks "load aggregator" which purports to do the same thing. Said to be VERY expensive, however. Made by a business in San Diego.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.