Combining. iPhoto libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have two iPhoto libraries - one on my desktop and one on my laptop. I'd like to combine these into one library on a new external hard disk I've bought, so I have one library with all of my photos on it. Is there a simple way to do this? I have already copied both libraries to the disk as backups. Is it best to select one of the libraries as the primary library and then import the other library into it?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

To avoid duplication, I would use something like iPhoto Library Manager and just "merge" your libraries. Quick and easy. If you don't feel like you have photos duplicated on the drives, you could try just importing one into the other, but I would worry that your imported library might just come over as one huge file. Not sure, as I have not tried that, but using iPhoto Library Manager will certainly do what you want.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, I attempted to import one of the libraries into the other one and it has borked iPhoto on my desktop. Now it just starts up and immediately crashes. :(

I'll have to give Library Manager a shot. Is the "merge" feature available with the free version, or do I need to buy it?