Combining / Merging several clips into 1 clip!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scouser75, Mar 18, 2010.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I have approximately 200 individual AVCHD clips which I have ingested into ProRes422 Proxy.

The clips are form a 2 camera shoot and I need to do a multicam edit.

As each clip from each camera is separated I am a little stuck.

Is there a way I can Merge / combine all the clips from 1 camera into 1 single clip? Just so that I can then use the mutlicam edit function?

I've Exported to QT Movie with current settings, but it would be good to know if its possible to ingest AVCHD files as 1 entire clip with no breaks in between.

Thanks

2. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've just had a rather worrying though :(

I have just converted 155 ProRes Proxy clips into 1 clip and another 155 ProRes Proxy clips into another 1 clip by Exporting to Quicktime Movie.

Now, once I have edited this footage using multi-clip editing I will need to re-ingest the edited footage in order to have a HQ edit.

With the manner in which I've gone about trying to overcome my initial problem, will there be any problems when re-ingesting as FCP will no longer see individual clips but just 1 big clip???

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

no no no, don't go to all that trouble. Just read about "nesting" in the FCP manual.

In a nutshell: you put all your clips on the timeline and then make them look like ( and behave like ) they're one clip.

4. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Hunter, I looked into and tested Nesting. But Nesting won't allow for Multi Cam editing. Unless I'm doing something very wrong.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Darn. I don't know if it will do multicam or not. I always use FCE and have to roll my own multicam the old fashioned way by synching up my cameras on different video tracks and then playing "eye doctor" ... ( which one better... 1, 2.... 1... 2... 1... 2 ) Its a PITA so I understand why you'd rather not give it up!

Good luck

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hunter, elaborate on the above please :)

If you do lay them on different tracks, you will still only be able to see the top track and so won't know what the heck is happening in the track below.

Or am I missing something obvious?

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Not wanting to hijack the thread but with nesting you cant apply a single effect to it can you, which will apply to all the clips?

How is nesting different from creating a new sequence?

Thanks

8. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If, for example, you had 20 individual clips and you wanted them to act as 1 entire sequence with no breaks, then you'd Nest the 20 clips.

But, you're right in that once Nested you're left with 1 Sequence and not actually a Clip.