Combining mp4 videos for DVD, Mac and ipod/iphone use

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bobcat16, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Bobcat16 macrumors member

I have a bunch of .mp4 clips that I am trying to combine for a project. I want it to be as pain free as possible to combine them.

I have Quicktime and I was able to combine them by just dragging them together and saving, but when I put the video on my iphone, the sound stopped working after the first original clip was over. The video continued, but it was silent the rest of the way.

Is there a way to remedy this situation? Is there another way to go about doing this that is easier than Quicktime?

P.S. - If anyone can help me make my video an mp3 file wants it is done that would be great too. Sorry I am such a new person to this, but I'm just an amateur trying to help out some family members with videos and audio. Trying to take a .mp4 video of a little cousin singing and make it into a .mp3 file so she can put it on her ipod to listen and share with her friends. She wants her live performance for this so re-recording it is not an option.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

2. Bobcat16 thread starter macrumors member

3. lostless macrumors 6502

You cant just edit a video and save the file. There will be different streams, which quicktime may be fine with, but other devices may have issues with. You have to export and re encode a new video. Try getting mpeg stream clip. It has options to simply edit mpeg 4 and recode back out. It can also rip the audio out of a video as a wav or aiff that can be imported into itunes and made into an MP3.

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

There have been several threads covering this ground recently. The gist is, joining the likes of MP4s is problematic if the videos don't have identical parameters. Even if they do, there can be complications.

But try this:

• Open video 2 in MPEG Streamclip, Edit > Select All, Edit > Copy, File > Close,
    • Open video 1 in MPEG Streamclip, navigate to the end of the video, Edit > Paste,
    • File > Export Audio, select MP3 and a sample rate of 44.1kHz, Save.