Combining Posts

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I have a feeling this has been discussed at one point or another (although after a few searches I still came up empty), but what's the latest when it comes to the forums automatically combining multiple consecutive posts from the same user into one post?

This was something that was quite useful and was there in the older forum software, and it seems like newer and better forum software should allow for something like that as well (even if at least through some sort of extensions perhaps).

Reactions: H2SO4

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Is there and easy way/tag to do it manually?

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there and easy way/tag to do it manually?
Yes... just click the multi quote button where i marked in the threads you want to quote, then click Insert Quotes at the bottom and it will insert all the quotes into one message for you to edit.

Screen_Shot_2015-11-04_at_12_42_19_PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Yes... just click the multi quote button where i marked in the threads you want to quote, then click Insert Quotes at the bottom and it will insert all the quotes into one message for you to edit.

View attachment 598134
It's certainly useful when you know ahead of time that you might be replying to a few different posts, which is certainly the case at times, but often enough you reply to one here and then see another one there and then perhaps another one elsewhere, and there you have it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's certainly useful when you know ahead of time that you might be replying to a few different posts, which is certainly the case at times, but often enough you reply to one here and then see another one there and then perhaps another one elsewhere, and there you have it.
Oh I definitely agree with you. On the new software I have a harder time editing an existing post to quote a second also.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

View attachment 598134
Yet that only works properly half the time.
Threads are long and mobile posts are few per page so the merging of posts was better and it also had mukti quote that worked afaik

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Yep, I just got told off for it. Is there and easy way/tag to do it manually?
And that's the thing. If there's going to be stronger enforcement of this kind of thing then the forums should really do something to support this type of combining automatically as was available for years in the previous version. Planning responses ahead helps, but is more than likely far from something that can happen even half of the time. And editing is an additional hassle that relies on all different users to do it themselves, which only gets tricker and harder on smaller touch-based mobile devices. Seems like if it's in the interest of the forums to minimize that as much as possible then getting some sort of an extension or a plug-in that would do it would be a good idea.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
And that's the thing. If there's going to be stronger enforcement of this kind of thing then the forums should really do something to support this type of combining automatically as was available for years in the previous version. Planning responses ahead helps, but is more than likely far from something that can happen even half of the time. And editing is an additional hassle that relies on all different users to do it themselves, which only gets tricker and harder on smaller touch-based mobile devices. Seems like if it's in the interest of the forums to minimize that as much as possible then getting some sort of an extension or a plug-in that would do it would be a good idea.
This sort of thing - functions we had one way or another in vB but that aren't natively available in XF - is something we're working on all the time. The list is pretty long, and each time we discover a new one, it gets added to the to-do list.

As to which plug-ins end up getting implemented, I couldn't say. Those are decisions I'm not involved in. But we do make sure feedback gets passed along to those who do make the decisions, and add our own opinions.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.