Combining Posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by C DM, Nov 3, 2015.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

I have a feeling this has been discussed at one point or another (although after a few searches I still came up empty), but what's the latest when it comes to the forums automatically combining multiple consecutive posts from the same user into one post?

This was something that was quite useful and was there in the older forum software, and it seems like newer and better forum software should allow for something like that as well (even if at least through some sort of extensions perhaps).

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a not a feature of Xenforo, but there is a plugin called Double Post Merge that could be added with that functionality.

3. H2SO4, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015

H2SO4 macrumors 68040

4. Weaselboy, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... just click the multi quote button where i marked in the threads you want to quote, then click Insert Quotes at the bottom and it will insert all the quotes into one message for you to edit.

Screen_Shot_2015-11-04_at_12_42_19_PM.png

5. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Thanks for that. I have absolutely no idea how I didn’t see it before.

6. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

It's certainly useful when you know ahead of time that you might be replying to a few different posts, which is certainly the case at times, but often enough you reply to one here and then see another one there and then perhaps another one elsewhere, and there you have it.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh I definitely agree with you. On the new software I have a harder time editing an existing post to quote a second also.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yet that only works properly half the time.
    Threads are long and mobile posts are few per page so the merging of posts was better and it also had mukti quote that worked afaik

9. C DM thread starter macrumors Westmere

And that's the thing. If there's going to be stronger enforcement of this kind of thing then the forums should really do something to support this type of combining automatically as was available for years in the previous version. Planning responses ahead helps, but is more than likely far from something that can happen even half of the time. And editing is an additional hassle that relies on all different users to do it themselves, which only gets tricker and harder on smaller touch-based mobile devices. Seems like if it's in the interest of the forums to minimize that as much as possible then getting some sort of an extension or a plug-in that would do it would be a good idea.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This sort of thing - functions we had one way or another in vB but that aren't natively available in XF - is something we're working on all the time. The list is pretty long, and each time we discover a new one, it gets added to the to-do list.

As to which plug-ins end up getting implemented, I couldn't say. Those are decisions I'm not involved in. But we do make sure feedback gets passed along to those who do make the decisions, and add our own opinions.