General Combining SMS databases?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thetruest, Sep 21, 2014.

1. thetruest, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

thetruest macrumors regular

so the best method to backup SMS is save its folder which has the database, etc. (if u dont use itunes/icloud which u shouldnt on a jailbreak.)

So im wondering if its possible/easy to combine 2 different SMS databases and how?

Maybe im thinkin 2 much, but i have an SMS database im not sure i want to use on my current restore because of size + i wont be communicatin much with alot of the people on it for a while since im travelling, and wonderin if i could just combine it with this new database i use now on a later restore/device at a later date.

2. thetruest thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody ever needs to combines SMS databases? just keep saving and using the same one on a restore? it never gets too big?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. thetruest thread starter macrumors regular

guess im jus OCD. :cool:

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Where did you get this idea ? :confused:
    Hundreds of thousands of jailbroken iDevice owners over the years have used iTunes and iCloud for backups.

The only time you might not utilize the backup is when doing a clean restore.

6. thetruest thread starter macrumors regular

?? im pretty sure restoring from a backup of a device that was JB brings with it all kinds of baggage that could make it unstable/performance issues and significantly increase the chance u end up having to restore later down the road, causing u to lose ur JB if Apple has stopped signign the last firmware that could be jailbroken and there isnt one for the current version? Ive seen first hand that this makes a device perform sub optimal.

----------

even restoring from a device that wasnt JB could still cause issues. Startin fresh is always best

7. thetruest, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

thetruest thread starter macrumors regular

am i not correct? when would u use the backups for a JB then? i would use icloud/itunes with the way it works on a non jailbreak if it was as reliable for a JB, even with the rare issue/slow down from time to time.

i find that u must inevitably do a clean restore if u jailbreak and ever want to keep up with upgrades/keep the device runnin smooth after a while when it begins to slow down, unstable, battery etc. So :apple: backups would be moot as u have to go through the whole manual backup again if u want it on a new restore (SMS, safari, game saves, list of important tweaks etc.).

im really lookin for a good probably paid app/way to help with this, like maybe iBackupbot or iMazing.