Combining the old with older project with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thattoe, Jun 15, 2011.

1. thattoe macrumors newbie

I have a pre-unibody Macbook Pro 15" in which the motherboard went out, i think. The mouse and screen were good until one day I tried to turn it on and it didn't work.

I also have a first generation unibody MBP 15" where the motherboard is fine but the unibody casing is badly damaged. It still completely functions despite the damage to the casing.

I don't know about compatibility or sizes, and if you wish for specifics, I'll get those too, but is it possible to put a unibody motherboard into a pre-unibody laptop?

Thanks in advance!

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

The ports are completely different so, no, you cannot swap logic boards around.

3. thattoe thread starter macrumors newbie

So, to clarify, if I swap the logic board, I would have to swap the hard drive, touchpad, screen, battery and keyboard with it?...Which would be near impossible since some of those parts are built into the unibody, right?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No, it is physically impossible to swap the logic board. They are not the same size, shape, or arrangement, and will not fit.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Just sell the two for parts and buy yourself a new one. Problem solved.

6. thattoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Is there a way that I can determine the value of the parts? like a kelly blue book for cars, but for laptops?

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Mac2Sell gives a rough estimate of what the laptop is but in good condition. Check eBay for previous completed listings to get an idea of what you can get.