Combining Time Capsule and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sminvt, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sminvt macrumors newbie

I just hooked up my new Time Capsule. It's working fine and I was hoping with it's advertised extended range it would reach out to the I Mac I use in my garage. It does not. I still have my old Airport Extreme here. Can it be configured as a repeater to boost the signal along to my remote I Mac?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not as a repeater but rather a range extender. You can bridge both TC and AE to create a much greater extended airport signal. In Airport preferences (in the utilities folder) the set up assistant shows how to add another Airport to extend the range.

3. sminvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks HLdan. It will take me a while to get up to speed on this. Do I need to connect the Extreme with a cable to make these settings? My network is not seeing the Extreme, only the Time capsule.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No, it doesn't require hooking up to extend the wireless. Just make sure to press the reset button on your AE and then follow the setup steps in the Airport setup assistant and you should be able to see the AE on the list of routers to choose to extend your network with.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I beginning to see a string of anecdotal evidence like this that the AEBS has better range than the TC.

6. sminvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Pressing the reset button on the Express made a difference. It is now showing on the list of available devices. I found a detailed explanation of the required steps on the Apple.com using Airport Utilities page that is perfect for a challenged user like myself. Thanks again for your help. I will report back on resulting performance change.

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I have read somewhere that it will drop throughput in half.

8. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

You will loose speed if your extending wirelessly. The best way, if you're able, is to connect your older base station to the TC via ethernet (bridge mode) and you won't loose any speed that way.

Mark

9. ascender macrumors 68000

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to do now then.

I've got my AEBS downstairs, linked via Ethernet to my ADSL router.

My plan was to use my TC upstairs to extend the range of the existing network, but are you saying that will slow my wireless LAN down significantly?

10. WHM macrumors regular

Help !!!!!!! Similar Problem

Received my TC on monday and replaced my old Airport Extreme (802.11g) as the base station. Installed and successfully accomplished my first back up. My former wireless network used 2 Airport Express to extend my range and I had full signal anywhere in my house. Now my PROBLEM:mad:
    Since the TC is (802.11n) "faster", I thought I would replace my 2 Airport Express with a new Airport Extreme which is also (802.11n) to achieve the fastest speed possible. By having the AP Express (g) on the network the whole network will work at that speed. I purchased a new Airport Extreme on the way home last night and tried for hours to connect it to my network to work like my 2 Airport Express to extend my network, thinking I would have a faster network being completely (802.11n). NO SUCCESS. Does the Extreme have to be connected via the WAN via cable. I assumed it work work just like an Express but so far cannot make that happen. Idea was SIMPLE. TC hooked up to DSL cable via modem....upstairs where the dedicated fast DSL cable comes into house. Program Extreme as extender and locate downstairs to speed coverage, if it has to be hooked to cable whole plan does not work !!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

11. macdent macrumors newbie

I have the exact same situation only wanted to use my existing AExtreme downstairs. Have been messing with it for two days now and finally just to keep things going put the DSL back on the AE and used a cable connection to the TC so that I can still have internet and backup ( which has been working fine - just not the plan!) I have posted for two days now on this forum hoping for some good advise from the pro's out there but that's not happening. . . .
    I think as more people try to get up and running we will see better solutions - can't believe your system is working with a new AE!!

12. sminvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sucessfully installed Extreme as a TC remote.

With the help of an Apple support person and following the instructions on the Apple support web page http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Designing_AirPort_Networks_Using_AirPort_Utility.pdf Page 46
    I manually adjusted the settings of the TC to be my main base station and my old Extreme to be my remote. This didn't work though. The light on the TC went amber with "WAN error" message showing under manual setup. The fix was to leave all the manually adjusted settings in place in the TC and to push the reset button on the Extreme, reboot the TC then the Extreme and then follow the continue button to automatically configure the Extreme followed by relaunching the utility to get the lights to go green. My network is working and speed is not reduced as warned. Download is 960 kbps and upload is 460 which is what the TC did with my new IMac before I added the Extreme. Could be I'm used to slow.
    Typical of these situations, I now have a new porblem. The Airport Express card in my old (2004) I Mac is loosing signal strength after a couple of minutes. Is it possible that the card is getting weak? My new I Mac is hooking up fine as is a DOS Laptop I have.