Combining & Trimming m4v music videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MarkN, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MarkN macrumors member

I am looking to put music videos onto my iPad from DVDs that come with my CDs. I would like to keep them together by album, and some make it easy by keeping it all under one title with each video as a chapter. Some of my DVDs have a separate title for each music video, so I have to encode each music video separately with Handbreak. What I am looking for is some software where I can bundle these up and have each music video as a chapter with a name of my choosing.

Also, some of my DVDs have a 5 second Avex Trax splash on the end of each video that I would like to edit off. Is there also a m4v editing program that is decent?

If anyone can recommend any software I would appreciate it!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use iMovie and iDVD if you want, but you need to convert the MPEG-2 encoded video from the DVD to .mov files using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) via MPEG Streamclip and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, as .m4v video (using the H264 codec) is not meant for editing.
    Handbrake (not Handbreak) only supports highly compressive codecs like H264, thus the need for MPEG Streamclip. But if you don't want to pay money for the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component, you could always transcode the .m4v files to .mov files (DV or AIC).

3. MarkN thread starter macrumors member

I am not entirely sure of QT editing capabilities. I did purchase QT 7 Pro a long time ago, but I don't know if that includes the MPEG-2 Playback component. I was able to edit the last 5 seconds out of the video, but it wanted me to save it as a .mov so I aborted to see if there was something else. I was hoping to avoid multiple conversions for fear of degrading the video. I used iDVD a while ago to create a DVD of multiple music videos, but I believe they all had to be accessed separately, and the videos at the end got corrupted, I guess during the conversion. Not being an expert in the video field, I was hoping to find something easier, even if I had to buy something. That doesn't sound like the case though. Could I do something directly from the ripped files before using handbreak to convert them to .m4v?

Thanks!