Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Wasn't sure where else to ask this.

So, I have an xbox 360 and will be buying an Airport Express soon for AirTunes/AirPlay and I want to be able to have my surround sound output from both sources at the same time. That way I can play my xbox and/or listen to music without changing sources. My surround sound does have 2 RCA inputs but it would be so much easier to not have to swap input (and I can listen to music and play xbox at the same time).

So what do I need to buy in order to have both sources being used at the same time? Tried a Y splitter to combine the source but it just cuts on out, then later found out that it can cause problems anyway.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Wasn't sure where else to ask this.

So, I have an xbox 360 and will be buying an Airport Express soon for AirTunes/AirPlay and I want to be able to have my surround sound output from both sources at the same time. That way I can play my xbox and/or listen to music without changing sources. My surround sound does have 2 RCA inputs but it would be so much easier to not have to swap input (and I can listen to music and play xbox at the same time).

So what do I need to buy in order to have both sources being used at the same time? Tried a Y splitter to combine the source but it just cuts on out, then later found out that it can cause problems anyway.

Sounds like you could use a small (a 4x2) mixer. Don't go cheap as cheap mixers have some self-noise. Maybe a Mackie "402" or soething like that. Thes will take four line level channels down to two. Cost is about $100 plus cables

mpdonlanjr

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
or you can get a program called playback and it allows you to stream media wirelessy from you macbook to your xbox 360 as if it were a windows based computer

i use with with movies and it works perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.