Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
I have material on two DVDs which I'd like to put together on a single DVD without re-encoding. I'm using a 2015 MacBook and have Toast Titanium. Any ideas? Thanks!

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
If you have MPEG Streamclip, you can open a movie in its VIDEO_TS folder, then perform a "Convert to MPEG" which rewraps the transport stream into a program stream file with a ".mpeg" suffix. Do that with your second DVD too. You can then burn both to a DVD using Toast. I have Toast 8 and I drop MPEG files onto Toast in the "Video -> DVD-Video" section and then burn away.

Note: the total file size of both movies needs to fit on one blank DVD or Toast will have to re-encode the videos to fit them on. You don't want that to happen.

Note 2: of course you need Apple's MPEG2 decoder component on your system for MPEG Streamclip to work its magic on MPEG2 files. I assume everyone has it, though I understand that's not always the case.

Doc Horrorshow

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
If you have MPEG Streamclip, you can open a movie in its VIDEO_TS folder, then perform a "Convert to MPEG" which rewraps the transport stream into a program stream file with a ".mpeg" suffix. Do that with your second DVD too. You can then burn both to a DVD using Toast. I have Toast 8 and I drop MPEG files onto Toast in the "Video -> DVD-Video" section and then burn away.

Note: the total file size of both movies needs to fit on one blank DVD or Toast will have to re-encode the videos to fit them on. You don't want that to happen.

Note 2: of course you need Apple's MPEG2 decoder component on your system for MPEG Streamclip to work its magic on MPEG2 files. I assume everyone has it, though I understand that's not always the case.
Thanks. So no re-encoding at all, subject to the rules you stated? I'm using a Mac running El Capitan which is supposed not to need the MPEG2 decoder component but when I try to open a DVD in MPEG Streamclip, it asks for it. Any clues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.