Combo drive causing macbook to not boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bigtwenty, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bigtwenty macrumors newbie

I have this macbook, a real nightmare. It was working fine until i wanted to sell it (of course). I knew the combo drive was slightly defective due to the fact i couldnt boot from it. But, all of a sudden, it makes a continuous quick ejecting noise when you power it on. The screen turns on, but stays black. No startup chime, nothing. Just that sound. I have since changed out the drive (no easy task) and still the same thing WTF? any ideas?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I don't think that it has anything to do with the combo-drive since a MacBook will boot and run if you forget to connect the cable between the logic-board and the combo drive.

Might be the RAM is not seated properly - try taking it out and pushing back in. Other than that it sounds like a logicboard fault - no chime and the fact that the combo-drive is looking for a disc....

Sorry but it does not sound like good news......

3. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

Not looking good

I know the ram is good. I have used it in another machine. It does sound like the logic board may be bad. But that doesnt make sense. It was working fine then boom not working. You know what though, i will put the original ram in and see if that makes a difference and post about it. Thanks.

4. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

Such a dummy

I'm such a dummy. Tried o put 2X2GB of ram into a mac that only supports 2X1GB of ram. DUH

Thanks guys.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That will be a Core Duo machine - you are correct they won't boot with a 2GB chip in them.

Glad it is sorted.