Combo (hardware plus software) for a digital media project

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phoenixsan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Hello again!

I am in the process of submiting a proposal for a University what needs a solution (software plus hardware) to do the following things (mainly):

-Manage and edit collections of images
    -Create, manage and edit PDFs and ePUB files
    -Create, store and edit Podcasts
    -Store and catalog video and audio files
    -Host, edit and manage a blog
    -Mastering a monthly DVD

Budget must be less or equal to $4000.00. The solution proposed have to allow uploading and downloading of files. Because of the human resources avalaible, the University prefers a software solution from 1-3 vendors.

Right now, I dont know if the main activities can be done with the budget proposed. Also, I am not sure what way to go: Mac plus Mac OS X Server, Server with OS X Server, Adobe standalone solution or Cloud, Apple software?

Please share your toughts/advice. Any help is greatly appreciated/thanked!
    And the most vexing and important question: Can be done in the budget given?

:):apple:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm guessing that you have to use recognised vendors, and are not allowed to use free apps like Handbrake etc.

So...

More information is needed. Do you plan on using the OSX ( Apple) platform, or Windows...? Without knowing, it's hard to recommend much, but.

For storage and management of images

Aperture

For storage and management of PDF files, the built in Preview app in OSX will do nicely.

Hard to go much further without knowing what platform you plan on using....I could be suggesting things you can't use in a Windows environment.

3. phoenixsan thread starter macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Must be.....

Apple/Mac based because the terms for submitting the project proposal specifies that. And its my undertanding/knowledge that the University have a huge discount in Apple hardware.

Thanks MacMan for the quick answer!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Then

Aperture for photos
    Preview ( saves money as is built into OSX)
    As for video, what typically are the sizes and format of these files to be, and how much storage are you going to allocate for them? Also, is the machine already included and on site, or is that part of the budget? If it is, then a large capacity Thunderbolt or even USB storage device is kind of tough to fit in. If you go with the built in apps that come with OSX, you may have enough money left to consider a high capacity USB HDD for storage of both photo and video libraries, keeping HDD Space free on the machine itself.

----------

Some ideas here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Essential-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B0047VJ428

UK I know, but just to give you an idea...keep your organised libraries on the external. If you had a bigger budget I'd suggest a Thunderbolt based solution, but I doubt the money is going to cover that...the WD 6 TB T/ Bolt unit is around £450 UK....a little cheaper in the US, but if you can wangle discount by buying from Apple, it's worth a look there too.

5. phoenixsan thread starter macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

No idea.....

about how big the files will be. Only data known is the files will be .AVI and .MP4 and the audio files .MP3 with 256 kpbs. The computer have to be included in the budget.