Combo SD Card/30 Pin Slot on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bodhi395, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I would really like an SD card slot on my iPad, simply so I could easily put my photos on there, and also for adding storage. I know Steve Jobs hates extra slots, so I was wondering if its possible to include an SD Card slot within the 30 pin dock connector slot?

Seems to me that SD Cards are physically small enough, and if you tinker with the engineering you could figure out how to fit both in there. Maybe its not possible, but it would be worth a try by apple to attempt to engineer it. That would make the iPad have an SD card slot and not add any extra slots that would ruin its Apple aesthetic.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Dude. Never gonna happen. As much as we want the SD slots, Apple is going to say no every time. You can use the Camera Connector Kit to upload photos. This is about your only hope.

4. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The camera connection kit is all right, but who wants a separate dongle to carry around.

I thought the only reason Steve Jobs doesn't include an SD Card slot is his aversion to extra slots and buttons on Apple devices. He wants clean and beautiful looking devices that don't have all those clunky ports and things other companies stick on their devices.

Given that, imagine how excited he would be to show off the fact the 30 pin connector port ALSO had a built in SD card slot. He would make it a big selling point about the elegant engineering Apple has done, and how they are so superior to android phones that just tack on 5 separate ports. There would be no downside to including this, IF its technically possible.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Apple is all about beautiful design, yes, but Apple is also all about the money. Notice how there are 6 different prices for the iPad, all of them having to do with "upsells" in storage space and 3G. Take that away by offering a SD card slot, and everyone buys the cheapest one.

How does that make more money for Apple and put more money in my stockholder's account?

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's the way it is. I went with 32gb 3G iPad because I needed the space and the GPS. If I could've added the extra space through SD, of course I'd have bought the cheapest one.

If you can mod your own, that's awesome. But I don't see it working w/the native OS unless you did a jailbreak and some *serious* low-level hardware coding along with it.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I don't see an SD card slot as a potential reason not to get a larger HD. Especially since the 64GB SD cards are still $200-300+ each. I see it as an easier way to move files back and forth. Same as USB. I use a USB drive to move files from my work computer to my personal computer or to share a file with someone else. Maybe I'm just the odd man here.

7. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They could make an SD Card slot with limited functionality, the same as the one in the camera connection kit. So you could load pictures from the SD Card, but not transfer actual files back and forth. Although I'm sure people would throw a fit if that happened.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Hey, let's just appreciate that the current camera kit supports transfers of photos and video files (and provides for extra storage in that you can keep additional movies on an SD card). Apple could have easily added a micro-SD slot to the iPhone/iPod/iPad but, as others have noted, what's in it for them? I get where they're coming from, I may not agree with it, but I get it.