Combo SSD / HD? Why haven't we seen this yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by akm3, Sep 23, 2009.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

Doesn't it seem obvious that there should be a product that contains say a 64gb SSD AND a ~250gb platter based hard drive in one 2.5" internally installable platform? They would appear as two different drives to the system (can SATA support that over one cable?

It would seem an ideal way to get the speed of an SSD for the boot/applications and the storage of a platter based system into our laptops, taking the space of only one drive.

What do you think?

2. 199708 macrumors 6502

Just patented yoru idea. thanks.

send you a check for $10 for the idea in a few weeks when i clean up.

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

That's what external drives are for... Buy the SSD as a system drive and use an external for data. Or why not make a 2.5 SATA case that can fit 4x SD cards to you can change the size yourself when you want?

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Microsoft was really pushing this idea at the launch of Vista. I believe they offered something called ReadyDrive.

For some reason, the hybrid drive idea never caught on.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's available on Apple MBP for years as aftermarket install.

One product is called OptiBay

7. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't want to patent it, I want to BUY it.

It just seems like a no brainer to me, is there a technical reason a Samsung couldn't do this? Is there not enough space in a 2.5" enclosure to do this? (I understand SSD's actually take virtually no space)

Optibay is a workaround, all the other suggestions are work-arounds. Hybrid drive = obvious solution / compromise.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's weird. A couple of the links I posted were from 2006 and were claiming that hybrid drives would be out "next year". It's two years after next year, and still no hybrid drives. I haven't seen too much info saying why they have been delayed. A lot of concern seems to be focused on the heat the flash memory would experience being inside a hard drive case. Another concern seems to be the number of writes, but I would think SSD technology has progressed enough so that wouldn't be as big a problem.

9. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I remember that older hybrid technology, it seemed to be focusing on using the SSD portion as cache for the disk portion, whereas I really want two disks in one.